Prologue

‧⁺˚*・༓☾ ☽༓・*˚⁺‧

RIDGE FARM, JULY 1975

"It's been so very nice of you all to have us here," said Freddie earnestly, enveloping your mum in a hug.

She laughed. "It was a pleasure." She stood back and smiled at them all. "You're such lovely boys."

"Indeed, you're welcome back anytime," said your dad. "I'm going to need a rematch in tennis, eh John?"

John chuckled. "Of course, Mr. Andrews, but that's not to say you're going to win it."

"Sebastian, please," your dad shook hands with Deacy. "And I'll be practicing in the meantime, mind you. Don't suppose you can do that up in London."

Roger hugged your mum. "I have a funny feeling," he said, "that we won't be only in London from now on."

"This album is going to light it all up," agreed Freddie.

"Thanks for introducing us to this place, Y/N," Roger smiled to you, then ruffled your hair. You wrinkled your nose; you and he were the same age, but still he liked to think of you as his kid sister.

"You're very welcome, Rog," you replied, reaching up and ruffling his hair in payback.

"Oh, you ruined it!" he whined.

Freddie patted Roger's shoulder, then pushed him aside. "Grouchy baby. You ruined her hair first." He hugged you tightly and kissed the air at your cheeks. "Bye, darling," he said.

"Bye, Freddie," you said with heavy sorrow. You were going to miss the lot of them for the remainder of summer, because in staying with your family, you were leaving Queen.

"Shush, dearie. It's not like it's forever. And you know it's only an hour from Surrey to London."

"I know," you said. "But I don't have a car. Train's expensive."

"Maybe we'll just have to come pick you up," Deacy chimed in, winking and then hugging you goodbye.

"Please! It'll be so dull here without you all," you said truthfully.

"Y/N!" your brother Frank shoved you.

You pouted at him. "You're just not good enough, Frank."

Your brother mock-scowled at you, and you laughed at the contortion of his face.

"Think I'll go start the car," Roger said. He gave you all a cheery wave and was out the door.

"You're in love with that car," Brian, who had hung back quietly until now, sighed heavily.

"BETTER THAN WITH YOU, you nErD!" Roger shouted back, and you stifled a laugh, a hand lightly covering your mouth.

Brian smiled at you, and his eyes glittered; you found yourself gazing.

"I'm going to make sure he doesn't get up to other things out there," Freddie muttered, and followed Roger's path out of the house. "Au revoir, darlings!"

"Au revoir," your parents chorused back in good humour.

As though taking some sort of cue, John smiled and left too.

"Thank you again for having us, Mr. and Mrs. Andrews," said Brian, stepping forward and shaking hands with your dad and your brother, before quickly embracing your mum. You had noticed, in the brief year and a half you'd known Bri, that he seemed to keep his distance from everyone, never hugging closely, always standing a few steps back. It wasn't that he purposely acted detached, aloof and arrogant and that sort of thing, but he was quite often very distant— his mind was up in the sky with those twinkling stars he loved so dearly.