Odysseus

In GREEK MYTHOLOGY, Odysseus is the great-grandson of HERMES, one of the twelve Olympian Gods. He is the son of Laertes, the king of Ithaca, and Anticlea and the husband of Penelope and father of a child named Telemachus.

Known for his leadership skills, wit, and intelligence, Odysseus is most famous for his ten-year journey had after the Trojan War. It's during this time he was involved in a series of adventures and faced many obstacles as he struggled to return home to his wife and son.

Odysseus' journey is told in the story "The Odyssey," a classic story written by the ancient Greek bard Homer. The rest of Odysseus' life beyond what's told in this tale of his struggles to return back home after the Trojan War is based on accounts from various sources. Although many details are fairly consistent.

Childhood and Early Life

Odysseus was born on isle of Ithaca. During his childhood, he displayed impressive athletic abilities. He enjoyed archery and did very well at it. Young Odysseus also liked to hunt with his dog, Argos, often going along with him. He is not a god, but he does have a connection with the gods on his mother's side of the family.

While on one hunting trip, Odysseus was gored by a wild boar, an incident that left a scar. It soon became evident during his early that Odysseus possessed certain unique abilities and talents, including an ability to solve problems and outwit opponents.

Odysseus was also known for his speaking abilities. It was often said that once he spoke, no one could resist him. It was his intelligence that attracted the attention of ATHENA, a goddess who would become Odysseus' protector during the Trojan War and later during his attempts to return home. She would prove to be a trusted source of advice and guidance.

Early Adult Years

Before he married Penelope, Odysseus tried to attract the attention of Helen of Troy, making him one of her many suitors. It was when he was trying to attract the attention of Helen of Troy, who wasn't interested enough to choose him, that he met her cousin, a woman named Penelope. She would prove to be just as clever and intelligent as he was known to be, a fact that made the two a perfect match for one another.

Odysseus made a deal with Helen's father (King Tyndareus) that he would find a way to prevent Helen's suitors from battling each other and would vow to defend the chosen suitor against anyone who would wrong him or attempt to do him harm (Oath of Tyndareus) if he would help him win over Penelope. King Tyndareus agreed. Odysseus won approval from Penelope's father, Icarius of Lacedaemon, by defeating him a foot race. Helen married a man named Menelaus and Odysseus married Penelope.

Odysseus became ruler of a group of people who lived on islands not far from the northwest coast of Greece. These people were called the Cephallenians. He lived with Penelope in a palace on the island of Ithaca that he built himself. Even so, Odysseus was not considered a rich man. Him and his wife had a child named Telemachus. Soon after his birth, Helen eloped with Paris, which is what ultimately led to the Trojan War.

During the Trojan War

Helen's husband, Menelaus, invoked the Oath of Tyndareus when his wife was abducted by Paris, who had been one of the suitors who lost out to him. Not wanting to leave his wife and young son, Odysseus pretended to be insane and unfit to help Menelaus.

However, when Palamedes of Euboia came to get Odysseus, he was suspicious and doubted that Odysseus was truly insane. So, he placed Odysseus' young son in front of a plow as a test to see if the boy's father had really gone mad. When Odysseus swerved to avoid hitting his son, it became clear he was faking. Odysseus was then drawn into the Trojan War.

Odysseus fought in the Trojan War with Achilles. While Odysseus admired Achilles' skills as a gallant warrior, the two men did now like each other. They had an ongoing dispute over what mattered the most, brains or brawn (strength).