Chapter 6

Violet did as she was asked and listened from the living room.

"Leon!" A bright female voice sang out.

Leon's voice sounds tense. "You're here early Fern."

The instant she heard the familiarity between them Violet started debating wether or not to take a look.

Fern humphed as she exited the car. "I wanted to see the doll you hired. I couldn't wait anymore to prove to you I could do that job and more." The flirty tone of Fern's words drive Violet to make up her mind and move to see. As she walked towards the screen door the image of the brunette girl with her long hair braided, wearing white pants, a green tank top with a high neckline, and arms draped on Leon's shoulders leaning in to kiss him, becomes clearer and clearer. As he leans away from the girl trying to kiss him he sees Violet standing on the other side of the screen. "Please stop Fern." He grunts, wishing his injuries weren't preventing him from being able to push Fern away in this moment.

As the brunette pulls away in confusion she sees what Leon does and decides to approach the doll. As soon as she is at the top of the stairs she speaks in a confident tone. "Hi! My name is Fern Appleton. My family owns this little place."

Violet swallows hard before responding in a polite and professional tone. "My name is Violet Evergarden. I am an auto memories doll from the C.H. Postal Company. It's a pleasure to meet you Miss Appleton." Fern takes in a sudden breath of surprise when she hears Violet's name and a knowing look settles on her face.

Leon started making his way back toward the house when both women noticed and moved toward him. Before he had a chance to protest they had both taken an arm to help him, his crutch knocked away by Fern and fell to the ground. "I don't need assistance up the stairs..." he grumbled and neither of them moved away from him.

Fern spoke as she turned to look at Leon. "I brought lunch for us. Your favorite Leon; shepherds pie, extra carrots this time. I also brought those little cookies you seem to like with your tea." She smiled brightly as Leon scowls forward.

Violet wasn't sure exactly why she suddenly felt protective over Leon, she decided it could be figured out later. She spoke in a calm manner. "I can help Leon to the house while you bring in the food."

Fern smirked before releasing Leon's arm and picking his crutch up. "Sorry about knocking your crutch out of your hands sweetie." She practically sings to him as she hands the crutch back to him and walks to the car.

As Violet assists Leon up the stairs he whispers. "I can explain."

Violets eyes are fixed to the house as they land on the porch. "You don't owe me any explanations Mr. Stephanotis." She released her hold on him and opened the door.

"Violet—." He tried to read her. Was she upset? Angry? Jealous? He really couldn't tell since she had trained her face to be so emotionless. He is disappointed because he had been enjoying Violet's face light up and change before Fern showed up. He feels angry with himself for not mentioning Fern earlier, and now he has no idea the world of emotions he is about to walk into.