Chapter 7

The three sat around the simple table in the kitchen and ate in awkward silence. Violet only ate a small portion, which Fern noticed, but said nothing. Violet carried the tea and cookies into the front room and after seeing that the other two are settled, Leon on the couch and Fern on the love seat, she stepped away from the setting.

"I'm going to excuse myself to go for a walk." Violet did her best to keep her frustration hidden from her features. Only someone who paid close attention to her would notice the tension she was holding in her shoulders. Leon noticed.

Fern's golden eyes brighten at Violet's words. "You don't want to stay for tea?" Leon peered at Fern before looking to Violet. His heart was aching. She isn't the one he wants to leave right now.

Violet's voice is kept at a professional and removed tone. "Since it wouldn't be very hospitable of Mr. Stephanotis to work on his letters while he has company I am of no use until you leave." Fern coughed from the surprise of Violet's bluntness. Violet turns her attention to Leon but found it difficult to meet his eyes as she spoke and felt unsure about her words. "I'm—dismissing myself now for the afternoon."

Despite the small ache in her heart that made her want to walk a bit faster, she maintained a steady pace as she exited the house. The hot air filling her lungs makes her realize this may not be the best time to go for a long walk. She decides to walk to a tree my the lake and sit under its shade.

As soon as Violet was away from the house Fern started. "Is that her? Is that the Violet?" The light blush that dusts his cheeks is answer enough. "Okay! So did you tell her?"

Leon huffs. "Tell her what exactly?"

Fern's face drops. "You're kidding right? How about 'I've thought about you every day since we parted?' Or perhaps, 'when I woke up from my coma the only thing I could remember for the first day and a half was you, your face, your name, the way your eyes lit up when you saw the comet.' Seriously Leon, you have a lot of options."

"If I had said anything like that do you think she would be out for a walk right now in this heat?" He glared at her before continuing. "What was with that whole show earlier?"

Fern dipped her tea before responding. "Hmm? Oh! I was hoping to shock your doll, although I wasn't expecting her to be the love of your life. Sorry about that sweetie."

"And did you have to call me that in front of her?" He asks before taking a bite of a cookie.

"Sorry sweetie, that's just what I call you. You know it's because of that sweet tooth of yours." She takes a bite of a cookie and with food in her cheek continues. "She probably thinks you and I are together, huh?"

Leon sighs before sinking back into the couch. "You certainly made it appear that way."

Fern takes a drink of tea to help wash the cookie down. "Well maybe she should learn that appearances aren't always what they seem."

Leon scoffs at his friend. "She saw you trying to kiss me and then use a pet name! What else could that look like?"

Fern let out an amused hum. "Like a traveling companion trying to play a joke on a doll that her friend who she calls sweetie."

Leon sighs again. "Speaking of people you're with...?"

A sly smirk spreads across Ferns mouth. "Oh Leon. It's all too romantic for you right now, especially now that you're wrapped up in your own little romance. Oh!" She laughed after the shock of him throwing a cookie at her. "Fine! We met in the garden again, and I kissed her."

Leon smiles brightly for his friend. "Did she kiss you back?"

She smiled dreamily. "And then some..."

His eyebrow raises. "What does that mean?"

"Oh sweetie." She smiled a bit bigger. "You don't need to worry about that step right now. You still need to tell her how you feel about her."

He rolled his eyes. "True." He whispered.

"So, why don't you ask her to come to my party tomorrow with you?" She lifts a brow before sipping her tea.

His brows knit. "Oh right... are you sure it's okay I come? I can't really dance..."

Her cup slams to its saucer. "Yes! I need you there to validate my stories! I brought one of my brother's suits for you and everything! Violet can borrow a dress from me if she needs to." She sound a bit desperate and realizes it. She sits back into her seat.

Leon smiles at his friend. "Okay. Could you leave the car?"

She laughs and falls back onto to the love seat. "No way!" When she's finished laughing and sees the irritated look on his face she continues in a serious tone. "If you'd like I'll have one of my parents chauffeurs come to collect you two."

"Fine." He bites eats another cookie in frustration.

Violet heard Fern's farewell and waited for the sound of the car disappear in the distance before peering back towards the house. The sight of him sitting on the top stair, leaning against the post with his eyes closed took her breath away for a moment. When she caught her breath again she leaned her head back on the tree and whispered to herself. "Beautiful."