Chapter 13

The day before John was allowed to leave the hospital. Arlo decided to visit. He bought the same kind of chips that Remi bought him with a few of the candy that John brought over before. He arrived at the hospital and was allowed in, he entered the room to 6 different beds. John was the one in the middle to Arlo's right.

The patients were separated by a thin sheet of cloth. Arlo smiled, when he reached John's bed.

But John, the moment he saw Arlo, his heart stopped. Oh, shit.

"Arlo-- what are you doing here?" He asks, just the sight of him made John nauseous. He tried to bury himself under all the sheets but Arlo pulled them off.

"I'm here to see you, why?" Arlo asked, how can he seem so, natural? "Don't you want to see me?"

John was a little silent at that. He sat up and stared at his hands, which was in his lap. "No, I don't." John looked away, "I-- I never want to see you again." He whispered. He reached a hand to wipe as the tears forming in his eyes.

Arlo sighed, he placed the bag onto the floor as he sat onto the bed, "You know, I think you owe me an explanation." John kicked at his back.

"Get off!" He shouted, gripping the sheets tight. "I know I do, but... but I'm not ready Arlo." Arlo got up and pulled a chair close.

Arlo stared at John, but he couldn't meet Arlo's eyes. "Please John, I really want to know." John shook his head and tried to pulled the covers up. "You know, it broke my heart when you jumped, so please, can you tell me?"

John bit his lips, "But, didn't you read the letter?"

Arlo did. "Yes, but I want to hear it from you, and it didn't make sense, John. I want to know everything." He said, gently tugging at the blanket.

John sighed in defeat, he let Arlo pull the blanket off, "Okay fine-- it's just, I feel responsible for your life now, I know how much you hate it, Okay? I didn't know they were your parents, Arlo." He sat up straighter in bed, "I wouldn't have wanted to kill them if I knew they were my future boy-- I mean friend's parents. I swear!"

Arlo's eyebrows furrowed at the word, friend. "We're not, dating?" He asked, a little unsure.

John turned to glance at him, "I thought you wouldn't want to date me after all I've done..."

Arlo shook his head and heaved a sigh, "No, John. I do." Arlo reached to hold John's hands, he flinched but let Arlo hold it. "My mom told me to focus on the present, not the past, so I'm not. I just needed a little time, I didn't want to let you go, because I still loved you."

John shook his head, as tears fall from his eyes, "No, you don't. You-- don't." He choked, pulling his hands away from Arlo's grasp to wipe it away. He hung his head low, "Don't say it like that-- you don't."

"No, I do, John. Why don't you believe my words?" Arlo asked, a little desperate for John to acknowledge his love for him. "Please, believe me, I do!"

Even though John didn't want to shout, he got angry at Arlo because of that, because he assumed that Arlo was lying, "No, you don't! Because, no one can love a monster!" He snapped at Arlo.

Arlo stared at John before sighing, "No, you're wrong. I still love you after everything, because you were helping me, John. You helped me, when I needed help." John looked at Arlo with a confused expression. Before John was about to shout, "Take a breath John." Arlo calmly said.

And so, John did. He didn't want to scream at Arlo, because he loved him back. "But Arlo, why did you hesitate to stop me?" He asked, in a soft voice. Arlo looked down at his hands, a bit ashamed.