Chapter 14: Heart to Heart

Justin's POV

    "Hailey, I'm going to meet Selena for lunch. Do you want me to bring you anything back?"

    "Where are y'all going?"

    "Panera." I answered.

    "Oh yes, my favorite sandwich from there."

    "Got you." I smiled and gave her a kiss on the forehead. "Be back in about two hours."

    I met Selena at Panera around 1 in the afternoon and saw her sitting in a booth in the back food already in front of her and to my surprise, she had food on the opposite side of her.

    "I hope you don't mind, I went ahead and ordered for you."

    "Thanks, I appreciate it." I thanked Selena. "So, what made you want to go on a date with me?" I joked.

    "Oh please; you're getting married soon." Selena laughed and I thanked the heavens she didn't turn into a sour mood with the joke. "I've called you here because I have some news to tell you."

    "Are you pregnant again?" I asked and Selena laughed shaking her head.

    "Oh no; definitely not." She took a deep breath. "Well you know Kaylie is moving to California for college."

    "Yeah—still not happy she's moving so far away from home for the first time."

    Selena gave me a look. "She's going to college, Justin."

    "Yeah, where parties happen."

    "Let's be real here, Justin." Selena began, "Kaylie is just like you when it comes to school. How often did you party in while away at college?"

    I swallowed. "Not often. Maybe once a month or every two months?"

    "Exactly." Selena pointed out. "Kaylie's going to school for her education, she doesn't care about partying. Plus, she's going to Stanford, yeah I would love to see the kind of parties those kids throw."

    "You have a point." I said.

    "Anyways, I'm moving to Texas." She said and as I was drinking, I nearly choked.

    "Wait, what do you mean moving to Texas? Like you and the kids? My kid? With Esther?"

    "Yes, Justin." She said.

    "How? Why?"

    "Shiloh got a great career opportunity, so we're moving to Texas."

    I narrowed my eyes at her. "You're moving to Texas with your boyfriend? Whose idea was this? His? For you to stay with him for him to end up dumping you months later?"

    "Justin, you better chill cause I will kick your ask." Selena said under her breath. "It was my idea first of all; I love Shiloh. I'm not moving to Texas with my boyfriend, I'm moving to Texas with my fiancé."

    That hurt. When she said fiancé, I realized she was marrying another man. My heart started hurting. It was hurting more than when I found out she had a baby with my best friend. I couldn't be mad though—I was marrying another woman soon.

    "Well," I stuttered, "I guess—I guess,"

    "You haven't stuttered since I told you about Kaylie 13 years ago." Selena said. "Aw, nerdy Justin is coming back out." She teased and I cracked a smile.

    "What I mean to say is, I guess I have no right to talk then, huh?" I sighed. "What about Esther? I knew I would have to get used to not seeing Kaylie, but now Esther?"

    "Justin, you can come visit and my parents are still here so we will be coming to visit. Also, Hailey is having Kaylie and Esther's stepsibling, I'm sure they would want to come back and see him or her."

    "Well the baby will be born in August so I don't know how soon Kaylie would be able to come visit since she would just be starting school." I said. "I'm sorry I blew up like that."

    "You need therapy." Selena said and sipped her drink. "I don't think we got enough therapy."

    "Eh, I just think we outgrew each other." I said truthfully. "We dated for a while, had our ups and downs and got married."

    "Did you hope we would stay together?"

    I nodded. "Selena, you were my biggest crush growing up." I laughed. "I was the little bullied nerd that was in love with the popular cheerleader who was dating the jock."

    Selena smiled. "Have to love the math packet."

    "Don't forget Gracie and Jazmyn, too. Those two little girls knew what they were doing." I said and Selena agreed.

    "They were something alright."

    "I guess you could call me lucky for being able to date you, Selena."

    "No, Justin, I'm the lucky one to have been able to date you." Selena said and blushed. "I'm really glad to have met you and talk to you. Although it didn't last between us, we still had good times."

    "So, Texas huh and remarriage?"

    Selena shrugged. "Apparently I have family in Texas according to my mom and remarriage can't be bad, you're getting remarried."

    "Have you and Shiloh talked about the wedding? Or when you're moving?"

    "Well, he just proposed the other night." Selena said. "I think we'd get married once we get settled in Texas, I don't think he wants to wait too long and honestly neither do I. As for moving to Texas, we're leaving at the beginning of July. Shiloh and I go house hunting next week so I was hoping Esther could stay with you? Ryan will be taking Evan and Kaylie is old enough to be on her own; I just didn't want to give her the responsibility of keeping the kids."

    "Does Ryan know about you moving to Texas and the remarriage?"

    "Yes, he does, and he was very supportive." She smiled.

    "Of course, Esther can come stay, I'm sure Hailey will enjoy it." I took a bite from my sandwich. "I'm guessing Kaylie is just going to move into college from Texas?"

    "Yep. I'm gonna drive down there with her and help her unpack. Shiloh is gonna stay back with the kids."

    "Do the kids know?"

    "Yeah—they're excited. Kaylie feels indifferent other than having her summer cut short with Trent. Esther is excited and nervous about making friends."

    "How do you feel, Selena?"

    She looked up at me after taking a bite of her food and stared at me for a while as she thought about it. "Honestly, I'm nervous, because all my friends are here. At the same time, I am also excited for new opportunities as well. I already found a few careers I could get into, that's what I'm also gonna do while we're house shopping."

    "I guess we're both just living new lives now, huh?"

    "I guess so, Justin. Started with the first story of us, then us starting over and now us officially parting ways."

The Story of Us. Begin Again. The Lucky One.

+

i'm tired of wattpad changing my indentation. i don't have the energy to fix it