Chapter XXVI: He That Hath Ears

Gygax sat in the council chamber, trying to listen to the reports of his generals, but his fury was building, and his ability to focus was dwindling by the minute. "All of you are telling me where they are not." He sat upright and placed his hands together on the table before him, which brought everyone's attention to bear. "Perhaps one of you has something useful to tell me?" The generals alternated between twiddling their thumbs and looking around, in what was likely an attempt to look nonchalant. But when a group of fifteen people do is all at once, it becomes increasingly noticeable. "Get out," he bellowed, sending his generals scrambling, grabbing scraps of paper and maps as they exited with great haste.

Gygax placed his hands over his face in exasperation once they had all exited. I search for my beloved, and no word reaches my ears. He lowered his hands and looked out of one of the two windows in the rear wall, that overlooked the sea of green known as Elorean. Her real home. He looked at the facades of sandstone and frowned. Even if you were home; you wouldn't be here. He touched the scars on the side of his face, and in spite of the tenderness of the wound, he took solace in the pain. I think I may have to accept that she will never return. Even if she did, she would never be happy by my side. Which is worse: knowing that the one I love flees me on the lam, or knowing that she is safe but unhappy with me?

There was a knock on the door, and a guard peeked his head in without waiting. "Your Majesty, you have a messenger who says he needs to speak to you."

"Send him in," Gygax ordered, straightening in his chair. As the messenger approached, Gygax recognised him. "General Luinëcalima, I am pleased to see you have returned from your patrol of the North. I am told you have news of the Heirs?"

"I do, Your Majesty." Luinëcalima's eyes seemed to scan every inch of Gygax's face for a reaction, as he stated: "Percival has declared himself King-In-Exile."

Gygax sighed. "I can hardly say I am surprised. It is unfortunate; I had hopes of peaceful reconciliation, but the stone is now rolling. It would take an act of the Gods themselves to stop it, and they do not seem the meddlesome type." Gygax thumped his hand on the armrest of his chair.

"I doubt reconciliation between the Heirs and yourself was ever a possibility following their flight, My Liege. You did kill their family, and used my hand to kill their grandparents."

Gygax looked at him, eyes widening. "You support their claim."

"I will not deny it." Luinëcalima stood, and set his rank token on the table. "I suspect you'll have me replaced."

Actually, this might be a good thing. "Take up your token, General. You are not yet relieved of service."

Confusion furrowed the gerneral's brow. "I don't quite understand. I admit that my loyalties are against you, and you keep me in charge of a significant portion of your army. Why, if I might be so bold?"

"At least I know where your loyalties lie, sir. Your replacement would be unknown to me. Besides," he said with a knowing glance, "keeping you by my side means keeping you away from theirs, and you have proven most effective in your exploits. I would hate to have to fight against you."

"Then take this," The General drew his sword, and set it un the council table, "For I will not bear it against them."

"I do not care if one man bears a sword, Luinëcalima. So long as you lead your men against them, you have your freedom." Luinëcalima stood and did a stiff bow, but Gygax grabbed his wrist. "Do not mistake my decision for mercy. If you betray me; I will have your head for treason." Releasing the man's hand, he concluded: "I am your king, regardless of how you fell about me, and I will be treated as such."