Chapter 8

They barely explored the vast cabin, so they decided to spend the time today exploring the cabin. Perhaps they would find a way to fight off the Hiisi within the cabin. There were still so many secrets to be explored.
Caz and Sam decided to first take Ethane to the music room in hopes of him remembering something there. Inside the room, Ethane caressed the instruments.
"I can feel her. It's like she's here. I remember."
Ethane sat at the piano and started playing a song. Caz and Sam walked over next to the piano and listened to the enchanting tune.
"It's beautiful. Which song is it?"
Queried Sam. Caz added in with his own interrogation.
"Is it a song from here?"
He shuffled through the folders of music. Ethane stopped playing and looked down at the keys.
"Hiisi's Scourge. My grandmother taught it to my mother, and my mother taught it to me. It's said to be a weapon against the Hiisi. It brings them utter torment and keeps them astray."
Ethane looked up at Caz and then walked over.
"I forgot we had so much music."
He flipped through the pages, noticing on the corner there were numbers circled with red ink.
"Wait-wait. These. Get all of the pages with the numbers. If I remember right, my grandmother told me it was a code to a safe. I forget what's inside, but I remember her telling me the day before she disappeared into the forest."
Caz started going through the pages pulling out all the pages with a red number.
"Whoa, a code? That's cool!"
Sam walked over and enthusiastically started to help search for all the pages.
"What do we do about the green and blue numbers?"
Caz held up two pages with multicolored numbers on them.
"Those aren't important. She put those to throw my Grandad off. I remember her saying, Find the red or you're dead."
"Yeesh. This seems pretty important then. I hope we find them all soon."
Sam commented as he pulled out a couple more pages.
The men continued to search for all the pages going over them repeatedly for three hours. Being sure not to miss a page. One by one they took turns taking a break playing on the instruments for musical pleasure and fetching drinks.
"Okay, we finally have them all.
Ethane scanned the pages.
"Here. The number is written on a different number of pages. If we put them in order, we should get the code."
The men passed around the pages and putting them in chronological order. Ethane blinked a few times.
"Wait. This - this is Hiisi's eye."
Caz and Sam looked at one another slightly confused. They questioned it in unison.
"What's Hiisi's eye?"
Ethane traced the notes with his finger as he spoke.
"It's another song that weakens the Hiisi. If I remember right this song, lifts The Blur... This could be a huge advantage."
Caz's and Sam's eyes lit up with hope. Caz collected the pages in order.
"We should wait to play this then. Let's try to find the safe."
Ethane and Sam agreed and the men walked out into the hall closing the music room door behind them. In the distance, you could hear agonizing screeches of the Hiisi. It was awake, and it was hungry.