To Say Goodbye Is To Die A Little

Dust exploded behind us as our horses raced towards Mazandaran in a bid to beat the rising of the morning sun. Its  fiery glow was biting at our heels as it washed over the hills around us, chasing us down. It was working against us, trying to pull away our cloak of darkness to expose us to the world under the harsh light above.

Onwards we bolted, racing against every earthly and heavenly element there was. Despite leaving with plenty of time to spare, we still had not even a second to spare to stop or think or talk. We'd had no time to talk in the past few years, and now this was to be goodbye. I barely knew the man who was riding beside me now. Was this change my fault? I'd thrown him into this life, This was how it had repaid him.

The sky above that had been stained pink was now quickly warming to a hazy blue in the early hours of the day. It was an hour where time itself seemed to halt, where the world was still. Not even the birds were singing as we rode into the town and towards the docks. I expected the cry of a seagull trying to snatch an easy meal, or squabbling over one that had already been caught, but there was nothing.

We dismounted and I led Erik down to the jetty and towards a magnificent ship that had been moored there for the past week. I knew it well, I'd often watched its sails blooming in the evening sun as it cane to dock to unload its cargo from far flung lands. It could be gone for months or even years, and I knew that its destination would take Erik far from Persia.

I knew the captain quite well. I had often spoken with him to secure some of his more exotic cargo for the Shah. By no means did they work for the man, but if it involved a good pay, they would deal with anyone. Cross them however and that was another story entirely; they were some of the fiercest men to sail the seas. I knew they'd accept Erik in a heartbeat.

The crew were a mismatch of delinquents from the furthest corners of the world, no two were alike. All had their own tragic stories to tell, though I doubted any held a candle to Erik's history. A week previously, I had spoken with the Captain, inquiring if he was in need of any more crew. He had been reluctant at first, expecting me to offer him old guards looking for a new life.

But when I explained who Erik was and what he was capable of, there suddenly became a vacancy aboard. We agreed that I would bring Erik to him on the morning of their departure, and expected no trade for him, all I asked was the guarantee of his safety as he was taken far from Persia.

"'Libertà.'" Erik gave a short laugh and turned to look at me. "Italian for liberty, how ironic."

"It was unintentional, I assure you." I returned with a smile. "The Captain is a friend of mine, he has assured me that you will have a safe passage to the other side of the world, as far from Persia and The Shah as it is humanly possible to get."

He was still looking up at the clipper, seeing more than a ship. This was his second chance at freedom. Naturally, I allowed him his moment of silence. There was no sound but for the occasional cry of gulls, the lapping of waves and creaking of wood of the moored vessels.

The movement of the awaking crew disrupted the silence and brought Erik out of his daze and he returned his attention to me. His lips parted and closed a few times, each ending with him breaking his eye contact with me and looking elsewhere in a frustrated manner. I waited patiently, understanding he was gathering his words and whatever it was, it was important to him. After an extended period of silence, he at last spoke, and I must admit, I didn't quite expect what I heard from his lips.

"You've a sentimental heart, Nadir, and a good soul. I could understand what you did to me was not of malicious intent, but my anger needed an outlet somewhere, and seeing nowhere else to direct it at the time, I directed it at you without a thought to your own situation. I'm more than used to betrayal, it's far easier for me to jump to hasty conclusions than consider for even a second that you had your own demons to battle. I cannot leave Persia on unsettled relations—"