Chapter Two ~ ANNABETH

Chapter Two

ANNABETH

Annabeth stared down at her glistening silver ring. There was a large white diamond, encircled by smaller clearer diamonds, with a diamond-encrusted band.

It was all a bit too fancy for her, too flash, too much like it was showing off how much money Andrew had. Annabeth twiddled it around her finger, and then took it off, holding it up to the light. With a sigh, she put it down on the table.

She and Andrew had been together for just over four years, now. He had been an architect at her firm, Chase Contracts - now he had his own company in San Francisco, which he travelled to for a week at the end of every month. He stayed with Annabeth's father and his girlfriend (not her old stepmother, who she rarely spoke to, as they'd split up ten or so years ago) when he travelled down, but after the wedding, he said he planned to buy his own apartment.

"Oh, god." She put her hands over her face. "Oh, my god."

She peeked through her fingers and looked at the ring. It terrified her.

Annabeth opened her laptop and logged onto DemiNet, the social media website only for demigods. Last night, after Andrew had proposed, he'd begged her to let people know of the news so she'd changed her relationship status. Now she had floods of messages and inboxes and statuses, from old campmates to work colleagues to people she'd only met once or twice. She opened one.

Congrats sis. It was from her half-brother, Malcolm, a child of Athena. Can't wait to come to the wedding. Hopefully see you about sometime - I'm in Los Angeles next week if you fancy catching a coffee :)

Another was from Travis and Connor Stoll, who shared a joint account. Hope it goes better than the last marriage! they'd sent. Just kidding smartass, good luck and all that. Pop up sometime. x

Annabethv sent back the same reply to most of the messages: Thank you. We haven't set a date, but when we do, you'll be the first to know! See you at the wedding. She then checked her notifications.

Cerys Davison liked your status.

Ramona Willis is in a relationship with Daniel Aberson.

Percy Jackson liked your status.

Percy Jackson inboxed you.

Jessica Culkin and 7 others invited you to play Hades' Hell Rush with them.

Yuri Tide sent you -

Annabeth's eyes widened. She rapidly scrolled up.

Percy.

Percy had liked her new relationship status. And he had sent her a message. She instantly opened up her messages and scrolled past dozens of pointless congratulatory wishes. She saw his name and her heart stopped as she dared herself to open it.

Congratulations. Hope you're well. Come see me at camp, we should talk soon. P.

Annabeth's heart lurched. She felt a pang of guilt but she couldn't help herself. She still loved Percy - not in the way she had, of course, because she was engaged to Andrew, for goodness' sake. And Annabeth knew how she worked - if she didn't care about Andrew, if she didn't love him, then she wouldn't be with him. But Percy... he still meant a lot to her.

He still lived in Manhattan. Annabeth had now moved to Los Angeles, with Andrew. She now had six architectural firms all over America, and was in the process of setting one up in Wisconsin and North Dakota. She was in talks with Zeus, the Big God, to add a new broadcasting station at Olympus (hidded on the 600th floor in the Empire State Building) so that Hermes could deliver messages more efficiently. Her whole life was moving forwards - she had a new partner, some high-paying jobs lined up... Andrew was even talking about children.