Chapter 4

It was raining. Thick droplets of water scattered around him, painting the brown earth black. It was cold and wet. The walking had been going on for hours. Twoface's pads were bleeding and his claws were torn. They would probably get infected if they continued on like this.

Owlstar simply kept going, not stopping once. Lionfur was close behind him, following his leader with admiration in his bright green eyes. Owlstar used to be wiser than this.

He planned out everything, no logical thought behind their attacks were flawed. But this was probably the most mousebrained thing he has ever done in the history of StarClan. Them abandoning their camp because the other leaders told them to?

Seems like Owlstar was fatigued. The whole clan was. The journey continued step after step.

They slept beneath prickly bushes and ate what they came by. A few cats would vomit from the crow-food they were forced to eat. Twoface could not help them feel any better. Herbs were nowhere in sight.

Twoface was basically asleep on his paws when they suddenly stopped.

A huge river was the obstacle. The water was brown, and its current were very strong, you could see that from all the sticks and rocks it swept away from the sides of the river. A few curious kits peeked from behind their mother's. They walked a bit closer, curiously scrunching up their noses.

Owlstar stood there a moment, turned around and looked at his clan. "We must find another way around."

"Finally, something we can agree on!" Rat-tail meowed angrily from the crowd of cats. Owlstar twitched his whiskers. "Well then...-"

A sudden panicked mewling came from the river. One of the kits had slid down, dangling on the side of the river, maybe a whisker from the water. His mother let out a wail and rushed forward, but Owlstar was faster.

He grabbed the kit by the scruff and placed the shooken up kit on the ground. He sighed. "Do not go near the edge. You may fall down."

He slid back to solid ground, and everyone tried to look for a way over the river.

"Can't we jump over it?" Lionfur asked.
"Why don't you try it?" Rat-tail asked mockingly.
Lionfur's eyes flashed with determination. "I will."

"You shall do no such thing." Owlstar mewed.

But it was too late, Lionfur had already bunched his muscles to leap. And he did.

LeafClan warriors were known for being able to climb and jump to and from trees very easily. They were lighter than the other clans and their claws were longer.

But it was well known Lionfur and Rat-tail wasn't complete LeafClan warriors, their father had been from ShadeClan, so their figures were a bit wider and heavier.

When he reached the other side he slipped in the mud and fell into the cold, mucky river.

He yowled as he was dragged away by the strong stream, trying to dig his claws into the wet soil.

The medicine cat sprang forward, awkwardly trying to reach down to bite down on his deputy's scruff. Rat-tail seemed to have the same idea, because he ran behind Twoface, sliding in the mud and pushing down both Twoface and himself in the cold water.

Twoface couldn't see anything. He just saw black. He couldn't sense anything. He simply sensed cold and darkness. He couldn't breathe. His lungs ached from the lack of air.

His furiously kicked his legs around, trying to stay afloat. He tried gasping for air, he only breathed in water.

The current was so strong. Only after a few heartbeats, he was almost 40 fox-lengths from the rest of the clan.