Chapter Two

Chapter Two

It's been a month since Mike and I shared our first kiss. Despite Louis' threats, he hasn't made us 'pay for it.' This has actually been the best month of my entire life. I go to bed thinking about him, I dream about him, and I wake up thinking about him too. My thoughts are interrupted by a knock on the door. I look at my phone. 11:30PM, late for visitors.

            I look through the peephole, it's Mike. I am in my old Princeton sweatshirt and workout shorts. Not my best look. I also have an old Dolly Parton album on my record player. I guess he will learn about my secret music taste tonight. I open the door anyway.

            "Hey, what's up?" I ask him. He looks frazzled, not like normal Mike. His hair is moved around all crazy and his tie hangs loosely from his neck. Dolly's "I Will Always Love You" plays in the background. Not the best mood for right now. "Are you okay, Mike?"

            "Can I come in?" he says barely perceptibly.

            I take a step back and gesture into my apartment. He walks in and begins to pace around my living room frantically.

            "Mike. Hey, Mike are you okay?" he hadn't answered the first time and I needed to know. He doesn't stop pacing but he does look at me.

            "My parents died in a car crash when I was a kid and today is the anniversary. It usually doesn't hurt me like this, but I can't stop reliving that night," Mike says in the most vulnerable state I have ever seen him in. Tears start flowing down his face. I walk toward him and pull him into a hug. He collapses into my arms and melts under my touch. His tears stain my gray sweatshirt, but I don't mind.

            Without pulling away from him I say, "Mike let's sit down on the couch." I know he must be uncomfortable bent over in my arms. He nods and we move to sit down.

            "Thanks, Katrina," he says with a clear voice, "I am sorry about this. I just didn't know where else to go and I couldn't be alone tonight."

            "No, no, don't apologize. I am glad you came here. I had no idea about your parents. I'm really sorry," I say while grabbing his hand. He leans his head on my shoulder. There is a brief moment where the only sound is the music playing on my vintage record player.

            "Katrina?" he says.

            "Yeah?" I reply.

            He begins to laugh and looks up at me, "What the hell are you listening to?"

            "Oh! Well I guess you know my secret. This is Dolly Parton," I say. My cheeks must be blood red now. I really didn't think he would notice the music. But he doesn't make fun of me. He just giggles lightly and puts his head farther into the crevice between my neck and shoulder.

            An hour has passed in this position, I can feel Mike breathing deeply in my arms. "Are you asleep?" I whisper.

            "Are you asleep?" he responds with a grin.

            "I don't think so. I was wondering if you want to go to my room?" I ask hesitantly, but I'm not sure why. It wouldn't be the first time we were in my bedroom. "I mean it would just be more comfortable to sleep."

            "Yeah sure, if you want to," he replies as he stands up. I grab his hand and lead him into my bedroom.

            "Oh yeah, I already forgot how comfy your bed is," he jokes. I move around to the other side of the bed and pull the covers down. He looks to me and takes off his tie.

            "I'll leave everything else on, babe. I just need out of this," he says assuring me nothing risqué is going to happen tonight. And it shouldn't, he is clearly in a vulnerable state. An indication of that is him calling me babe. That hasn't happened yet.

            "I understand. Just climb on in when you are ready," I say.

            "Ready!" he says back with a charming look. I can't help but grin at his goofiness.

            When he gets under the covers, he moves close to me. He hesitates for a moment to wrap his arms around me, but I give him a subtle nod that tells him it's okay. All is right in the world when his arms meet my body. I wish I wasn't wearing a sweatshirt so I could feel his hands on my arms. We can't get much closer to one another, but I want to be. I want to be a part of him, and I want him to be a part of me. He leans over places a soft kiss on my lips.

            "Goodnight," he says gently. And I just smile.