Chapter Four.

Edo port

Edo was the newly appointed capital, and it was bustling with activity. As Hiraku got off the ferry, he took in the smell of the sakura, with the samurai in their armor, the shogun's palace, and the newly built houses in the distance, It seemed too good to be true. 

He could see his father's silhouette from near the sakura trees. Akira Hayashi was a man in his early fifties. His brand new Yukata was indigo dyed. With his wide-brimmed straw hat, he could pass for a normal person in the capital.

"Ohayo, Hiraku" his voice was as clear as a river.

"Ohayo, Otou-san"

"You've shaved your beard" Hiraku noticed.

"Yes. Beards are not that fashionable these days." he tugged the wisps of his remaining beard. "Let's go. You can go sightseeing after you're refreshed."

Hiraku swallowed his excitement to go see around immediately and nodded. As they walked, Hiraku took in the sights. Even the poorest people had clean clothes. His father was staying at more or less a humble residence. But it took Hiraku's breath away

"This house is for those working under the Daimyo. Of course that means I'm working under him. I'm not alone in here, though. There are others. All of us here work as samurai." Hiraku was dumbfounded. His father was a samurai, which was one of the things he was looking forward to seeing.

As soon as he finished, a tall man wearing a black Yukata came in. his hair was tied in a topknot.

"This is Daiki Watanabe. He's a junior. He joined only a few weeks ago. Daiki-Kun, this is my son, Hiraku. He'll be with us for a while."

"Ohayo" Daiki welcomed.

"Ohayo guzaimasu, Watanabe-san." he bowed slightly.

Daiki walked off in a hurry

"Don't worry. He's still getting used to the place, so he's a bit shy." Akira chuckled.

Hiraku nodded.

Whenever he was around his father, he couldn't say much except for nodding his head because his father would make him baffled. This made him like his father all the more.

As they entered, he was again surprised by how big the house was. Compared to his house in Ito, the current house was like a mansion. The Genkan looked neat. There were expensive tatami mats, and the shoji had no cuts.

"If you're dumbfounded by this, then just wait till you see the Daimyo's palace. It's magnificent."

"Can I see the palace?" Hiraku could not contain himself.

"Of course. That's why I called you here." Akira winked.

"I don't understand. Otou-san what do you mean?"

"Hmm, how can I make this clearer? I'm going to train you to be a samurai."

"Become a samurai?!" Hiraku could not comprehend what was going on. Him, become a samurai for the Daimyo?!

Akira scratched his head. "I thought you wanted to be one."

"Yes, but samurai training is said to start as a child. Then there's Bushido, Kenjutsu...also, I'd need a sensei..."

"Don't worry. You'll start with kendo; you'll learn about bushido while training. And as for a sensei, I've arranged at an academy. So why don't you get some rest? We're starting kendo training tomorrow. I'll leave now. I have a duty."