Chapter 7

Frost opened his eyes slowly, blinking in the morning light that streamed through the farmhouse window. In the night Bunny had rolled over, and Frost found himself once again in the arms of the black-haired boy. Bunny was on his stomach, one arm slung over Frost's chest protectively. In sleep, the black-haired boy seemed younger, the sharpness of his eyes hidden and his frown smoothed over. It was the first time Frost allowed himself a proper look at him and he realised, with horror, the boy was far more attractive than Frost had noticed. 

He had the slightly upturned Roman nose and chiselled jaw that one would expect to see on a classical statue. He was tanned, a small spattering of freckles across his nose and cheekbones like constellations. His face was firm but smooth, dark eyebrows giving him a far more grown-up expression. His hair was longer, shaggy, and fell over his forehead in tousled waves. Frost thought they looked very soft, but didn't trust himself to touch them. 

Instead, he extracted himself from Bunny's arm as carefully as possible, so as to not wake him, and made his way to the door. He turned the handle and pulled, turning to look at the sleeping boy once more before pivoting and slamming his face against the edge of the open door- which was much closer than he'd though.

Bunny awoke to the sound of a heavy thump. He shot up, in panic, and saw Frost lying on the floor clutching his head. The boy was groaning, splayed out like a baby deer on the carpet. Bunny rushed over, wiping the sleep from his eyes as he went. However, when he reached out his hand, his fingers skittering over the boy's wrist, Bunny was perplexed to see Frost visibly tense under his touch. 

There was a short but terrifying moment of uncomfortable silence, unlike anything they'd ever had before. 

Frost looked up through his fingers at Bunny, eyelashes dark against the pale blue of his eyes. 

"Bunny I--" he began, placing both hands over his eyes and exhaling deeply. When he removed his hands, his eyes were dark and distant, as though he was remembering something horrible. "Last night, I was hurt. I was really hurt and I just needed someone close, I...I'm not gay."

Bunny blinked, scanning the boy with a cool glare. Frost was facing slightly away from him, eyes focused on the carpet to his right. There was a tension in the line of Frost's jaw, words threatening to spill out. 

"I mean, there isn't much point anyway--us...what? Becoming an item? There's literal flesh eating sand monsters--"

"Hey, it's cool, Frost," Bunny grimaced, feeling immensely foolish and embarrassed, "I get it."

Before Frost could say anything more, the black-haired boy was shoving past him and into the hall with a heavy sigh.

"Bunny," Frost groaned, leaning out of the door to watch his retreating figure; a figure that slowed ever so slightly to hear what Frost would say next. "I'm just...I think..." he frowned at the floor, his voice quieting, "I want...I think Jamie said he wanted us to go to the Job Distribution Hub after breakfast."

Bunny scoffed and rolled his eyes, continuing on his way at a slight stomp. 

Further up the hall, he barged his way into Sandy's room with a scowl. The blond was still asleep, mouth open unflatteringly. Bunny leaned over him and tapped his cheeks, hard. Sandy's eyes slid open rapidly, unfocused for a moment before he saw Bunny and rolled them. 

"What time is it?" Bunny asked intently. 

"I don't know! Like...half six?" Sandy grumbled, checking the small clock by his bed, "You really couldn't have woken someone else? Or...checked the clock yourself?"

"Stop whining. Our clock doesn't work and I didn't want to miss breakfast."

At the prospect of food, Sandy sat upright. He pulled on the uniform laid out at the foot of his bed and went to wake Tooth and North at Bunny's command. Bunny himself went back to his own room, hoping that Frost had already left.