Chapter II: Returning Home

The house was old, rundown, and deteriorating. It still stood for a certain amount of years but it never fell. The only function of the house was to support the lives of three extraordinary beings, nothing more or nothing less. Comfort was not an option for the three who lived in the house at all, but only a place to settle from the darkness. The quiet but dark and haunted woods isolated the house instead of it being a pleasant set of neighbors. One of the three beings left the house recently but was seen walking back to the territory. That man was the Dark Exorcist himself.

The second being was a black cat that stood behind the window as he watched Alan approach the door. The cat jumped down the table walking towards Alan. His yellow eyes stared at him as Alan sat on the couch full of exposed springs and holes. For the house had no maintenance after the past century.

“Where have you been?” asked the cat as Alan ignored him. The cat jumped up on the couch to sit with him. “Nowhere special!” replied Alan with exhaust. The cat was disappointed by the answer but he did not fail to occupy Alan. The Dark Exorcist took an alcohol flask and drank the liquor that was contained.

“You know I wish you wouldn’t be doing that?” said the cat with concern. “Really?” said Alan, “If it’s alcohol poisoning that you are worried about then you are pretty stupid Limbo.”

Limbo laughed and began to lie down on his belly after he placed down his two front paws.  “Okay then, so what did you do last night?” asked Limbo.

Alan took vodka from the floor and drank about half of the bottle rapidly. When Limbo learned quickly that it was just a way to ignore his own question, he began to talk to him again. “I see, you did another one of those! Well you shouldn’t be doing that without telling us about another case. You could be doing them a favor but what profit do you gain out of it. Actually I should have asked…what do you lose from exorcisms like that? There is a reason why so many exorcists do not exist Alan. One like yourself is very lucky to be alive after living for over four lifetimes. Every time you drink that bottle, that bottle drinks out of you. You may get that taste of alcohol but you…..”

“Please be quiet Limbo” interrupted Alan.

“Don’t worry Alan, I’m not dictating what you should do, I’m just a spectator of all of this. After all I’m nothing but your shadow.” Said Limbo knowing what was about to come from Alan’s words.

“Shut the hell up you cat! I rather hear an animal that only meows than use the human tongue to lecture me!” shouted Alan Harkison with his maximum energy, which was very miniscule too. Limbo then began to walk away from the couch.

“Ah Mister Harkison, there is never a boring moment with you around….even for the few past centuries.” Said Limbo as he walked away casually.

A young woman with blond hair approaches Alan slowly. She never smiled as she walked but used her emotionless expressions instead. She wore a white dress with purple patterns on it. She walked up to Alan and put her hand on Alan’s face. Alan grabbed the hand instantly which did not surprise her.

“Nebula” said Limbo with a surprise, “You’re up?”

Nebula did nothing but sit down with Alan Harkison. Limbo sat and watched their lack of happiness. Nebula laid down and spoke with a monotonous tone “You were at another exorcism Alan, why didn’t you tell us?” “Oh boy, I just said that earlier” said Limbo with exhaust. Alan then got up and went towards the door, opening it for the fresh air. He went to the pile of severed wood and the logs he had placed on the stand. He swung his axe to cut it into two. He swung it again for the next piece. He swung it for many times as the morning went on. Alan then heard two voices with contradicting judgments that terrorized his soul.

“Hey Alan” nagged the first male voice, “Hey…what’s going on?”

Alan replied softly “Please shut up!” to the voice that came into his head and then was forced to hear the second, which was a female voice.

“Don’t worry, we are here to help you Mister Harkison! We are always here for you!”

Alan then smashed the wood harder and chopped the pieces into more fragments.

 “Doesn’t mean you exist!” said Alan

“But we are here” said the male voice. “Oh boy” said Limbo, “He’s at it again, talking to himself!”

The second voice then said to him viciously “But that doesn’t mean we can’t help you!”

“Yeah but he can help himself” backfired the first voice

“No way, he almost got himself killed when he performed his recent exorcism! Don’t encourage him, he gets himself hurt!”

“Shut up, you are being absurd!”

“Don’t talk to me like that”

“Don’t back fire at me like that”

“Both of you shut up” screamed Alan with all of his might when he chopped the last piece of wood. He fell down on the ground with anger which transitioned slowly to laughter.

He then saw a girl walking alone at the middle of the haunted path. Her posture reflects loneliness, depression, and the victimized. Limbo, Nebula, and Alan all stared at the lonely girl as she continued to approach the Dark Exorcist. No visitor has ever encountered the Dark Exorcist for the past few centuries.  How did she know the path, and who was she looking for? Does she know what she was messing with? The girl was young, who was at the age of twelve, and very worried about something that happened. Her hoodie was covered by dirt and blood. The cold air made her shiver harshly as she made her way to the Dark Exorcist. 

“Uh, Mister?” said the girl in a very shy voice. For she knew what was in her mind was very important to her. Alan squinted his eyes at the little girl for a brief moment. She never looked up at his face.  He decided that he had to predict what she was going to say or do because not many visitors come to his place, which was why it was so difficult for him to.

“And who might you be?” asked Limbo with some comfort. The question from a cat like Limbo only surprised the girl. Limbo then laughed at her reaction that was quick but worth his laughter.

“Did you just talk?” asked the girl with curiosity.

“No silly girl, cats don’t talk! It’s all in your imagination” laughed Limbo as he sat on the surface looking at the curious girl. “But seriously, how are you doing today, can we help you?” asked Limbo politely. 

“Well….I…um…..” stuttered the girl.

“If its girl scout cookies you’re trying to sell then go away.” Interrupted Alan Harkison with his insulting words.

“No Mister Harkison! It’s not….” Said Marie impulsively which jumped Alan quickly. He looked down at the girl with suspicion as Limbo and Nebula picked up the girl’s words.