Chapter IV: Darkest Case

Alan sat and stared at Marie with impatience and the urge for knowledge. Her traumatized state did not help anyone and herself. The Dark Exorcist the looked out the window for more freaks but they did not appear anywhere. He then saw a woman and her son walk outside at the woods. Alan could not identify their faces but he could identify their bodies which wore old fashioned clothes. He then ran out of the house without notifying Nebula and Limbo. Once Limbo heard the door open, he figured something was going on.

“Alan….?” Asked Limbo.

The mother and her son walked away casually. Although Alan was running as fast as possible, their distance was no match for him. Marie then woke up slowly as her vision was blurry. Limbo was still chasing Alan through the woods but then Alan tripped giving Limbo the advantage to catch him as Alan’s name was called. Their distance from each other was at the greatest. 

“No…come back!” Screamed the Dark Exorcist. “Come back! Please….don’t go!” His screams eventually transitioned to the sadness of Alan Harkison. Suddenly the flames began to accumulate on one of the trees behind them. He covered his ears once he heard the loud scream through Alan’s ears. The flames grew larger and larger burning all the branches and trees. He ran back to the house as quickly as possible.

In the meanwhile Limbo still chased for Alan as fast as possible. Once they intersected Limbo turned to Alan and asked

“What the hell is going on?”

“There is a fire…fire” replied Alan with all of his adrenaline and sadness.

Limbo then looked back quickly and ran back with Alan when he heard about the forest fire. When they went back they found Marie awake along with Nebula. 

“Alan said there is a forest fire, we have to go!” commanded Limbo with his anxiety. He turned back again and did not see the smoke, or the fires accumulating. Limbo then jumped up on the window and saw nothing but the lone trees.

“Limbo, what are you doing?” screamed Alan.

“False alarm Alan, there is no fire!” replied Limbo with some laughter.

When Alan was about to run through the back, Nebula caught Alan’s hand which stopped him. Alan then calmed down quickly looking at Nebula’s eyes.

“This forest is pretty dry, and if there was fire, then we would have felt the heat from here!” said Limbo.  “Alan, what was it that you were after before you ran away from the fire.”

“I…I saw them.” Replied Alan as he face palmed himself, “I saw Alice and Daniel.”

When Alan said those names, Limbo’s eyes grew larger but then he was about to say something. He looked away but then Nebula tried to understand what was going on.

“Alan, it’s not yet September thirteenth yet. We are about five months away from that.” Said Limbo.

“September thirteenth my ass I saw them god dammit, and there was fire! You know what happened right? Do you?” asked Alan with anger.

“Marie is awake now. She is ready to tell the story.” Said Nebula towards Alan and Limbo. Alan then sat down on the couch and then looked at Marie.

“Alright Marie, what the hell happed back there?” asked Alan towards Marie.

“I don’t even know where to begin” said Marie calmly with uncertainty. 

 “You came here with freaks and then you fell unconscious. Now Nebula here is our psychic and she can’t even read you. You have something to hide, or you may have something trying to hide itself within you.” 

Marie took her time to think and then she realized where she should begin.

“Well Mister Harkison, I came here because I have an exorcist case for you. It’s what you do right? You are an exorcist!”

“Yes I am, but what is this case about?”

Two days ago, Marie and her friend Drake sat inside their house in New York City. Drake was a boy about her age that sat on his wheel chair. His limbs were bony, and his fingers were very slim. His cheek bones were very visible from a distance and his hair was absent. His face did not reveal any happiness at all. He watched the television featuring athletes playing soccer. Their speed contrasted to Drake’s depression and their pride was high as Drake’s knowledge of his early death.

“Drake, Drake that was you since you were at the soccer team.” Said Marie. “Don’t you remember?”

“Yes Marie” Said Drake enthusiastically as he battled his condition. “I remember.”

“Well when we were younger, you kicked the ball towards me once but then it flew all the way across the gate and it hit my big sister’s head by accident." 

Drake tried to laugh but then had a nosebleed. Marie the took a tissue and then wiped the blood off of Drake’s gauntly face.

“Marie…..?” said Drake in his soft voice. Marie then turned to Drake.

 “Marie, do you think people all over the world appreciate their life before they are about to face death?”

“Why do you ask Drake? Please don’t be saying things like that!” 

“Marie you know my condition right now. Why do you deny it all? I wake up asking myself how come I am not yet dead!” 

Marie found Drake’s word impossible to reply to. She then turned off the television and sat down on the couch accumulating tears.

“Drake, don’t you realize that you should be happy! Don’t you ever talk like that again!” said Marie emotionally. “Now Drake, don’t think that I am going to abandon you!”

“But I am dying Marie, can’t you see! I have no future. You have a future yourself and I am sure your parents would be glad if they were still around!”

“Drake…. I don’t even know who they were, or where they are.”

“But shouldn’t that be your goal, to find out what they were? Now you are lucky that you can set your own goals in life. I don’t have goals except to die”

“Don’t say that Drake” screamed Marie as those tears covered her face. Marie wiped her tears off of her face for a while but then Drake knew the truth he spilled out hurt her. 

 “Marie, I…I am really sorry! I didn’t mean to…” said Drake who was now interrupted by Marie’s words

“No….it’s fine, I just wanted to give you the happiness you were missing out on!” cried Marie.

“Marie, I am sorry. You have been a big sister to me for my whole life. I’m lucky to have you with me since neither of my parents could afford a hospital or some psychiatric ward. I just didn’t want you to waste your time with me!" 

“Drake, let’s just act like the children we were back at those days. Come on, let us both cheer up!” said Marie when she wiped off her tears.  “I have something for you!” Her face transitioned from the sad emotions to her happiness that was waiting inside of her. She went to her book bag she dropped off at another room and pulled out a rectangular box. She brought it to Drake and put it down on the table.

“What is it?” asked Drake. “Is this chutes and ladders, Sorry, Operation, LIFE, Candy Land?”

“Oh no it’s none of those games, this is something totally new”

She opened the box, took out a small glass cup that was smaller than her hand, and then a board that had letters aligned alphabetically. Each corner had one word either saying “Yes”, “No”, “Hello” or “Goodbye”. There was also a moon and sun with a face so detailed. It’s eyes looked very realistic.

“Marie….what is this?” asked Drake with curiosity.

“It’s called an Ouija Board” answered Marie with a smile.