EIGHT.

LEGENDARY.

eight

"YOU KNOW, I never enjoyed it," said Five. The boy was sat in the front seat of the car, with Luther driving, and Maria sat in the center back seat. Her legs were crossing, and her heels foot was bouncing anxiously. She didn't like this idea.

"What?" Luther asked as the car came to a park.

"The killing," Five said simply. "I mean...I was good at my work, and I — I took pride in it. But it never gave me pleasure,"

"What about you?" Luther asked. Maria had the thought that he still didn't remember her name. "Did you enjoy it?"

Maria sighed.

"Not enjoy, per-say," She said, folding her hands over her knee. "Obviously, there's an adrenaline rush at first. But after a while, it got quite boring."

"I think it was all those years alone," Five mused. "Solitude can do funny things to the mind."

"Yeah, well you were gone for such a long time," Luther said. "I only spent four years on the moon, but that was enough. It's the being alone that breaks you."

The moon? Maria thought. Why am I just hearing about this now?

"Do you think they'll buy it?" Maria asked from the back seat, looking down at the briefcase on her lap.

"Well, what I do know is that they're desperate," Five answered. "It's like a cop losing his gun. If the Commission finds out, they'll be in deep shit."

"Not to mention they'll be stuck here until they get it back," Maria pointed out, drumming her hands along the top of it.

"Well, I should hold onto it," Luther offered. Five hummed in response. "In case they make a move on either of you."

"Okay, Luther, but be careful," Five asked in a tone that Maria had never heard before. "I mean...I've lived a long life, but you're still a young man. You got your whole life ahead of you. Don't waste it."

Maria raised an eyebrow, but did not say anything. The three stared at the road ahead of them for a short moment before the hum of a nearby car broke the deafening silence.

"Here we go," Five said. "Maria — the briefcase."

Maria passed it up into Luther's hands, before the three got out of the car. The approaching car drove past them and parked a few feet away. Five, with his hands slumped into his pockets, approached Luther.