TEN.

LEGENDARY.

ten.

"CARE FOR DESERT?"

"No," Maria said swiftly, her legs crossed and her heel jiggling impatiently as she and her partner in crime, Five, were seated in front of the desk of the Handler, who gave them a sickeningly sweet smile.

"I had a bad Twinkie in the apocalypse once," Five said casually, setting his almost empty glass of water on the desk. "It kind of put me off deserts."

"Please," The Handler drawled. "Indulge me."

She put a gloved hand out and pushed the bowl of sweets on her table towards Five. He glanced at her skeptically before sighing and grabbing a small candy. Maria looked at him oddly but did not say anything.

"Maria?" The Handler said, gesturing towards the bowl.

"Thanks, but no thanks," Maria replied. "I don't like caramel."

"Suit yourself," The Handler shrugged, pulling out a cigarette and placing it on its holder before holding it out towards Maria. "D'you mind?"

Maria's eyes narrowed before huffing. Five eyed her as she removed the glove off of her right hand, extending her pointer finger. The Handler placed her cigarette on the pad of Maria's finger, resulting in a sizzle. The Handler seemed pleased and brought the cigarette to her lips, inhaling.

"What's that taste like to you?" The Handler asked Five as he ate the candy.

"The 1950's?" He guessed after a pause.

"Precisely right," The Handler hissed. "Our clever metaphysics division concocted a way to perfectly distill an entire decade into a single candy. This one's modeled after the Fudge Mutt, — America's favorite in 1955.

"Remarkable." Five commented, impressed.

"You'll be happy to know it's the very division that's building your new bodies — Oh, that reminds me.I have something for you two," The Handler pressed a button on the intercom. "Carla?"

"Yes?" A voice rang out.

"Would you bring the box in, please?"

"Certainly." Five and Maria shared a look as a woman dressed in blue came in and placed a box on the Handler's desk. Five stood up as the woman walked away and stared over the box.

"What is it?" Maria asked skeptically.

"Go ahead," The Handler said. "Open it." Five complied, revealing two navy blue suits. One was cut for a man, and the other a woman.