Chapter 20

I lay my head on mamas lap as she rakes her elegant fingers through it. Sahil Bhai and Bhabi are out for something, and baba is at work.

I smile at her and Abdullah plops on the sofa beside me.

I sit up and look at mama.

"Do you remember your dads brothers family? Thia and Theye jaan?" She asks. Thia and Theye means dads older brother and dads older brothers wife.

"Yeah, mama of course." I smile.

"Hashim too?" She asks cautiously and I slowly nod as Abdullah glares out into space hearing Hasim's name. His nose flared.

"Um yeah." I nod again. Mama looks at me.

"Well, he went to England remember?" She asks, and I nod again. Abdullah glares at the ground.

"Well he's coming back." Mama tells me happily. I nod happily, truly I have to no problem with him anymore but... Abdullah sure does.

"Oh that's great," I tell her. "When?" I ask.

"Soon, like in a week or less," she smiles.

"That's cool." Abdullah mutters and mama nods, oblivious to his mood.

...

"You know I don't hate hashim, you don't have to hate him." I tell Abdullah softly as we drive back home.

"Yeah but what he did to you?" Abdullah shakes his head.

"Abdullah habibti I'm over that, okay? It's bad to be so mad at that. Don't be mad, please? Honey?" I ask.

"Ugh." He looks away.

"Please just try to accept him. I am truly not mad at that anymore, because I have you in my future. If he hadn't done that, I wouldn't have ever had you in my future. So habibti, be pleased with him for me?" I sweetly ask. He smiles at me.

"Okay. I will." And I kiss his cheek.

...

Hashim's words and his face echoed in my mind as I shook my head. I wasn't mad at him at all, but Abdullah was kind of. Hopefully he would forget what I told him about hashim, even though it was so true but i wasn't mad. He was my cousin after all.

I pick up Manahil as she cries. I rock her to sleep and she sleeps.

Then I clean up the kitchen as mummy is sleeping still. She had the fever yesterday so I put her to sleep and gave her medicine.

I feel a sharp pang at my hand just as the door twists open to reveal Abdullah. I gasp at the cut.

"Ouch!" I exclaim and Abdullah looks at mycut, kisses me, and puts a band aid. I silently kiss him as well.

"Jazakallah."

"Are you okay! Stupid knife." He nods at my thank you and then starts washing the dishes as I smile.

He puts the keys away and stirs the pasta I made.

Papa and him set dinner as I smile and thank them. My thumb still hurts and I change the bloody bandaid to a clean one again.

It's a small cut but Abdullah takes it seriously. He feeds me while I rolls my eyes, and then I get some food for mummy and wake her up. She eats and then takes her medicine.

"Ya Allah may you live long and healthy and have the best life," she smiles.

...

"We will go to thias house today beta. It would be decent if you would come." Baba tells me on the phone and I smile. After the incident I was just kind of mad but I always loved them, especially Theye. She always wanted me to be her daughter, but enough of that.

"Sure. Wait let me ask Abdullah. Hold on."

"Habibti? Do you want to come to Theyes house? " I ask him. He looks up from his computer. He nods.

"If you want me to." He grins and I smile.

"Yup Okay we will be there in a few hours. Yeah dinner? Okay. Alahafiz." I tell him as we exchange Salam.

I decide to tell mummy and papa as they are invited too, but they kindly say another time because they are really tired today.

So me and Abdullah set off. I wear a purple lacy dress with a blue hijab and a purple flowered pin, and black tights.

I take Manahil and undress her for her shower. She giggles, or attempts to, as the warm water runs over her body. I was so scared the first time but Asma and mummy and mama gave me tips. I scrub some soap on her gently and then wash it off, massaging her head as she attempts to shriek again. She loves water and that probably comes from me going to ten thousand water parks in Florida.

I dry her up softly then put lotion on her, and scented baby powder. Then i lightly press the little hair on her head down and get those cute headbands that are soft, and then start layering her in a t shirt, a full sleeves shirt, and light leggings. Then I put on a pink onesie that says Daddy's Girl, and then I put her hot pink jacket on and a hat that covers her ears and little teeny gloves. then a scarf and little teeny shoes. Lastly I wrap her in a knit blanket.

She may seem overdressed for this fine sweater weather, but she's a baby.

Then I put some lipstick and very natural eye shadow and eye liner.

Abdullah wears a checkered shirt with jeans. And we head off.

"Aslalam my habibti, mashallah! You look so modest, mashallah." Theye greets me and I smile but hint a flash of regret in her eyes. Of course, I know why. It's obvious.

"Wasalam Theye, it's been to long I missed you dearly!" I hug her and smell her peppermint smell. She was always like a grandma to me for some reason.
"And thank you, "

"AWW, my habibti, come to Theye." She hugs me then pulls away and leads me and Abdullah deeper into their house. I remember this place too clearly and all those memories with Hashim and Ayesha. Ayesha is Hashims sister, and she's married and has a 6 year old son Mahmud.

"Asalam Abduallah! How are you beta?" Theye asks and he smiles, a great smile that reaches up to his eyes, the smile I want him to give my aunts and uncles. Because it wasn't their fault... About... That.

"Wasalam Theye I'm great Alhamdulilah." And we enter the living room where everyone sits.

"Ayesha?!" I see Ayesha's blue duppatta which is loose and she don't wear hijab that much but clearly she is trying.

"Oh my god, is that you?" She hugs me, her brown curls escaping loose as Mahmud wraps his arms around her legs. As we greet and she takes me to where Mama and Theye are sitting, the girls.

"Mashallah you look gorgeous." I compliment her and then peek at Mahmud.

"Does he remember me?" I whisper to Ayesha and she nods.

"Just talk to him. He has a great memory mashallah he remembers he's just not so sure." She smiles. She takes Manahil from my arms and coos at her then sits closer to my mama because Manahil recognizes mama better.

"Hi, Mahmud." I smile and his eyes widen.

"It's you," he mutters before smiling at me and then we become good friends.
I help with the food because clearly Ayesha's tummy is so large. I know she's expecting a baby soon.

...

"The food is so delicious and I had a great time. " Abduallah murmurs softly because Manahil is sleeping. We are back at home. I hug him.

"I told you." I reply softly. And he smiles.

...