6. PROM (part 1)

"Tina, hurry up!" Tina was doing my hair and makeup because as I mentioned, she is basically a fashion geek. She used my MAC palette, which I bought from the gift card Ryan gifted me. Her black hair was parted to the side, defining the latest bob cut she had got. "Okay, so it's gonna be a breezy crown braid, you have long hair so we'll give waves to those beautiful blonde locks and we need to accessorise but not much," she inhaled softly and exhaled through her mouth, "Let's dress you up first." With that being said, she disappeared into my closet.

"This looks resplendent," Tina handed me the dress, "Go! Change. Are you waiting for Ryan to see you in these shorts? He'll forget about the prom and go all mushy." I laughed and went to my closet to change while she went to the washroom. Looking in the closet mirror, I realised how alluring this dress was. It was a chiffon thigh-high slit dress with A-neck and a keyhole back. It was a beaded turquoise dress I wanted to wear to Prom since last year. Now I was finally going to wear it!

One word: exhilaration. Tonnes of emotions flooded through me. Thrill, enthusiasm, curiosity, heck I even felt lovesick. I know I had met Ryan yesterday but I was yearning to see him again. Something about Prom, especially the senior year Prom, was exclusive.
All the seniors went to the Prom, half of the guys in Senior Proms were dudes from college. Nobody cared about their surroundings, they were lost in their own worlds with their dates and the amount of drama at these Proms was overwhelming.

I came out of the closet sporting my prom dress with a pair of silver stilettos. "Now do my hair! Quick!" I wanted to get ready before Ryan reaches here, it's not my fault I was rushing into everything, right?

She first touched up the makeup that got smudged with the dress. Then she started braiding my hair.

—————————————————————

"Randall, take care of my girl,okay? No funny business," Tina smiled, "Just kidding. Have fun guys!"

"We will", Ryan waved Tina bye and handed me the bouquet of white roses.

"Ryan, just look away for a sec please",he turned his head to look away, "yeah, now you can see me."

"Were you silently checking out my evercute butt?"
"Oh please! Evercute isn't even a word and just for your information, I was hoping you'd check me out and compliment me rather than being a conceited jerk."

"Seriously? Only a conceited jerk would ask a person to compliment them and FYI, I know that evercute isn't a word." He literally spoke FYI letter by letter.

"Huh, I see." I laughed at his attempt to win this argument. He put an arm around me and complimented me until he sat me in the limo next to him.

—————————————————————

"Ryan, I'm gonna go meet up with Lee. Wanna come?"
"Uh, you go. Be quick though. I'll be there by Mason and Tim."  Mason was his 'homie', someone close to him even if he acted like a total knuckle head.  Timothy, aka Tim, was his cousin who lived next door to him.

I nodded in agreement and we parted our own separate ways. I spotted Lee with a blonde guy who was about Ryan's height. He looked rather lean in his white flannel shirt and a black overcoat. Classic! Black Ray-Bans, a trail of facial hair around his arched lips. He seemed a bit mature, perhaps even older than Lee.

I took a few steps towards where the two guys were standing and saw Lee catch my eye. He waved and motioned for me to join them.
"Hey! Is this...?"
"Bennett, yes!"
"Hello there. You must be Lee's friend! Tina,is it?" The guy spoke up.
"Um, no. I'm Stephanie, but my friends call me Stef." I stuck a hand out for him to shake, which he did, rather firmly with a cheeky grin plastered across his face.
"Oh, so you're Stef. Nice to see you. Lee keeps talking about you and Tina. That's how I got confused."

There was a thing about the guy that made me feel he wasn't right for him. But I'm not one to decide, am I? Maybe it was just his vibe, the whole mysterious shadowy thingy he had going, or the fact that he confused me with my best friend. It may even be the fact that he was wearing bloomin' Ray-Bans inside in the evening!

Just as if on cue, Ryan came up to me with a slip of paper in his hand. "I'll see you around, Bennett." I shooted Lee a quick two finger salute as Ryan escorted me to a corner of the dim, slightly tinted ballroom that was used as the prom venue.

"I've got something to tell you Ryan...Hold on, what's up? What's this slip about?"

"Uh, I, um,Tim has a friend in the Prom Committee. He might've asked that friend of his to tell him who currently has the most votes from Prom King and he says it's me."

"Well that is great. What's the harm in that?"

"He says he's not sure that you're gonna be crowned Prom Queen. According to the votes right now, it's going to be someone else." He muttered the last part carefully and gently caressed my shoulder as if I'd explode on impact.

Honestly, I wasn't that mad. Ryan was going to get crowned, it's okay I won't. I'm happy for him. Just out of curiosity, I still wanted to know who earned the other crown, well, tiara.

"Who's getting Queen?" I asked, my tone reflected envy, even though I was perfectly okay with the fact that I wasn't the one with the most votes.

Ryan scratched his throat and said, "It's, um, I don't think you've heard of her before, I don't know her myself.." Ryan heaved a sigh, "Her name is Mia, I guess."

—————————————————————

Author's Note:
Hey fellow readers!
It's been a long time since the last update. I had online classes and stuff to do. Hope you're all doing well. Stay safe, stay indoors and maintain proper hygiene. That's the least you can do. If you guys get bored, feel free to DM me. ( j.jindal88 ) Keep reading guys! Comment, vote and please share it with your friends if you like it, a little support would mean a lot to me! Since I have holidays now, I might update frequently. Until the next update,
Yours sincerely,
JJ