7. Prom (part 2)

It was baffling. I had never heard of that name before. By the puzzled look on Ryan's face, I guess he hadn't either. Who was this girl? Who crowned her Queen? Do people know her? I know I don't. Well, if she got the most votes, she's got to be popular,right?

Or maybe there is no girl like that. Maybe Ryan is only messing with me. Maybe he's just acting confused so that I don't catch the prank. Guess what, nobody messes with me. I'll stay cool about the whole thing until he tells me it's a joke.

"So what was that you wanted to tell me?" Ryan pulled me out of my thoughts and I sighed.

"Nothing important. Only that Tina said she wasn't gonna come tonight, to the PROM! That's not the Tina I know! She loves dances and she would never, ever, miss a prom."

"You're missing her here?"

"I guess so, she would have had fun. With this whole early-homecoming/prom thing, she was so eager to attend it. She even wanted to be on the organising committee!"

"Whoa, that must've been a lotta work. Don't you think? Organising this?" Ryan gestured towards the main stage, which was decorated with white, pink and red roses.

Yeah, it was beautiful indeed. Mental note to myself: congratulate Macy, Sarah, Kate and Anne for their wonderful job of decorating this venue.

"Come on"
"Wait, where are you taking me?"

"Shh. You'll get to know eventually." Ryan put his index finger on my lips in an attempt to shush me and grabbed my hand to lead the way.

"Wha-whoa", mesmerised, I took out my phone to take a picture, so that I could show Tina what she missed.

I noticed that Ryan's hand never left mine, as we stood under the sky, the glint of the stars matching the one in his eye. The stars really looked like diamonds in the sky.

He looked up and so did I. What was better than holding the hand of your high school sweetheart under the twinkling stars on a prom night?

I was still looking at the glamour of the full moon, when I felt someone's eyes on me. I quickly glanced at Ryan.

He looked hot. Super hot. He should wear black every day.

"You think so?" Ryan asked me, and the smirk in his voice was very clear.

Did I just say it aloud?

"Yes. You did." Ryan confirmed my thoughts for me, followed by a laugh and a subtle shake of his head.

"God. What's wrong with me?"
"Nothing. There's no harm in your boyfriend knowing that you think he looks hot."

I grunted. He was never going to leave this alone. Sighing, I smiled again, at the reflection of the full moon in the clear water of the lake in front of us.

Ryan came closer to me and wrapped his hands around my waist. He then placed his chin in the crook of my neck. His warm breaths against my skin made me shudder and sent shivers down my spine.

He must've noticed it. Opportunistically, his lips grazed my neck softly as I allowed him access by tilting my head to the side.

There was nobody here, at the lakeside. The thought of something dangerous happening to us frightened me, but at the same time, I felt safe in his arms.

Wind rustled the maple leaves. Even the bushes behind us rustled like we were in an adventure movie. Now, I admit, I was scared.

Ryan looked around, still holding my hand. Nothing. It must've been a little gust of wind, that's all. After all, Canadian weather is unpredictable.