Chapter Ten

Lisa
•••

Planning Christmas Eve for Jennie two days prior between dance practice, apartment furnishing, and hanging out with the girls was a challenge. What I've come up with isn't perfect, but my goal is to make it a memorable day nonetheless.

So far, it is going better than I imagined.

Jennie said she really likes me. She kissed me again, and again when we were alone in her room before Chaeyoung had to ruin the moment. We've already kissed three times in the last twelve hours, yet we still have to talk about what it means. Our feelings are as clear as our confessions last night, but that could only confirm so much.

If tonight goes as well as today, I may be sure of what this all means.

"Are we going to your place?" she asks as we walk hand in hand through Hongdae. This would be her seventh guess on where our first destination will be.

"You'll see." I say for the eighth time. She groans in another defeat and sulks while we walk. "Speaking of my place, I can't wait to show you the stuff I got for the kitchen."

"So we will be going to your apartment."

"Not right now, no."

"Tonight?"

"Do you wanna come over tonight?" She lowers her head with the cutest blush. We reach the corner and our first agenda sits right at the end of the narrow alley to the right of us, but I can't help but look over to the left, where Grooving '94 is at the end of that street. But it's just barely visible from where we stand.

I remember what Chaeyoung said about the pub. The urge to ask Jennie what happened that was so bad that they can't go back there is growing and the irritation of not knowing the slightest has returned.

But the fact that the pub comes with unpleasantries behind it will ruin the perfectly good date I'm having with Jennie if it's brought up. My curiosity will have to swallow down its impatience because the secrets of Grooving '94 can wait.

"Oh my gosh, don't tell me." Jennie gasps when I stop in front of our first destination. "Are we really?" her cat eyes turn to puppy eyes in a matter of seconds and it seems like she's about to cry of joy. I beam at her and open the door to the dog café. She enters in small steps, her mouth agape and gaze shifting around to take in the ambiance. I inhale a good scent of dog and the further you walk in, you find the second half of the café filled with them, roaming around to be pet by loving customers.

While Jennie stands still in shock of the adorable puppies in front of us, I pay the clerk for the two of us. "What are you waiting for?" I joke and plop on the ground. A white shitzu approaches me and I rub her tummy in delight. Jennie kneels in front and does the same, speaking to the furry animal like its her first born.

More dogs surround us, though, they prefer to play with Jennie. I don't mind this because I've always been a cat person and I've known Jennie to love dogs all her life. The sight of her enjoying their company is heartwarming and I could watch her do this all day. "I just wanna take all of you home." she coos while rubbing the bellies of two dogs at the same time.

"Why don't you have any pets at home?" I ask.

"Work, I guess. I won't be able to take care of them as much as I'd like to." That is as accurate as it could be. I wish Jennie didn't work the many hours she does everyday of the week. It's no doubt she loves her job and the café is much more than coffee and books, but she's tired. I know she is. Her frame is underweight, skin pale, and eyes hooded. But she continues on with this lifestyle like she's accepted it's the best it could be. If there's no changing her mind about work and if I could, I'd stop time so she could get a little more rest at night.