Chapter Thirty One

Jennie
•••

It's the 1st of February.

Lisa's back.

I should hurry because she shouldn't lug around her baggage all by herself. Since the train won't go any faster, I'll just have to run to the terminal.

I triple check her message from earlier this morning to ensure I meet her at the right place. And perhaps, to read her whole text all over again.

"Plane lands at around 4:30. I'll exit through the arrival hall. Thanks for filling in for Chaeng. I'll see you later."

It doesn't even sound like Lisa. Maybe the cast is too uncomfortable to type with, leaving her with one hand to express her words. Maybe she woke up early on the wrong side of the bed. Maybe she was rushing to get her things together before leaving for the airport. I try to reason, but whatever it might be, the text is still dry.

It's 4:52. She should be done with customs.

When the train doors open, I dash out.

My heart beats out of my chest, truthfully because I get to see Lisa again after two weeks apart. On her trip back at Thailand, we didn't text much. Maybe once or twice, but no one is to blame because she was spending time with her mom and dad while I was working on pottery. I had purposefully kept myself busy with crafting so I wouldn't miss her too much (not that it helped anyway).

I scan the waiting area for a familiar face. Passengers of new arrivals walk out with their luggages and beaming grins to be reunited with loved ones or excitement for a vacation.

Then I find who I've been looking for, not looking as happy as everyone else. "Lisa" I approach her.

She lifts her gaze from the ground and finds my eyes. Her lips curve to a toothless smile. "Hey, Jennie." she says when I greet her with a hug. An awkward one at that. She pulls away first.

"Let me help you." I take the luggage from her injured hand and reach for the duffle in the other.

"I got this one." she says casually, already inching towards the exit.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure."

I follow her. The heart beating out of my chest is growing nervous.

Lisa seems different. Her demeanor has changed and the only expression on her face is a blank slate. I can't tell if she's in a mood or just tired. If the flight was restless or if she wanted to stay in Thailand longer. I can't tell if I have anything to do with it.

My hands are sweating.

"Should we take the train or..." Lisa asks once we exit the airport.

"Let's take a cab, you must be tired."

She nods.

"How was your trip?" I want to hear all about it and more of her voice.

"It was good." she chuckles, keeping her gaze down to her shifting feet. "Dad was home too so it was nice to be with my whole family."

"I'm glad"

"They were worried and pretty upset about," she gestures to herself, "you know." the once gauzed up wound on her temple is replaced with just a square bandaid and the scratches she once had are hardly visible.

"Of course..." I wonder if they know it was because of her ex girlfriend's psycho ex boyfriend. I don't think Lisa would lie to her parents anyway. Then I wonder if they resent me for hurting their daughter. Mrs. Manoban's voice of anger is unimaginable. I hope to never hear it even if I very much deserve to. "How about the bruising? Are you still in pain?"