You're My 'Perfect Stranger'!. - Chapter 6

--

"Irene!" she called out as soon as she opened the front door.

The person sitting on the couch turned her head and smiled. "Why are you shouting like that?"

She closed the door, took off her shoes and dropped her bag onto the carpet on the way to the couch. She literally jumped Irene, nearly knocking the latter's laptop to the ground.

"Y-yah! Careful!"

"Sorry. I just miss you," she said, wrapping her arms around Irene and showering her face with random kisses.

Irene had to chuckle. "I assume your day went well?" she asked as she set the laptop aside, putting it to sleep.

"Hm," she mumbled absentmindedly, too busy peppering the other woman with kisses.

Actually, she had had a rough day at work. One of the clients raged at her for a mistake that wasn't even hers in the first place. Then her boss added to that by assigning her to yet another notoriously difficult client for an upcoming project.

All she wanted - the only thing she had on her mind all day - was to come home and let Irene help her forget everything. To lose herself in her like she had been doing everyday this past month, ever since Irene decided to stay like she said she would.

It was officially the best month in her life.

There were no awkwardness and no fights over little things that people usually had at the beginning of sharing a living space. If she hadn't known better, she'd say that they had been living together for years instead of weeks.

Irene's habits were acceptable. Some were surprising and a bit unusual, but acceptable nonetheless. She found them easy to adjust to.

It appeared to be the same for Irene since the latter never complained about anything.

There was still so much she didn't know about her new roommate. Her job, where she lived, her family details and why she could easily put her life on hold to be there with her 24/7.

But Wendy realized one day that she didn't need to know all that for now. She was happy to have Irene with her. Regardless of those unknown details, Irene had already become an inseparable part of her life.

"Hm as in 'yes' or hm as in 'not really'?" mumbled Irene after she had pushed the eager Wendy back a bit.

"Hm as in 'why are we still talking about this instead of making out'?"

Irene laughed.

She smiled when she heard the chortling, always finding it as amusing and contagious as the first time she heard it.

"I swear, you laugh at the weirdest things," she said, tapping Irene's nose with her finger before getting off her to go to the kitchen.

"Name one," replied the woman following behind her.

"Um..." She pulled the fridge open, in search of a snack. She thought she had a list of things to name but strangely, she couldn't remember at least one of them. It felt as if they were there, somewhere at the back of her mind, but she just couldn't retrieve them.

She ended up shrugging before continuing on her search.

Little did Wendy know that the person behind her was quietly clenching her jaws, feeling happiness once again slipping just a little further away.

--

The phone vibrated endlessly on the nightstand, waking her up with a groan.

"Irene..." she whined.