Chapter Four

Tsuzuru Minagi's Perspective

I tapped my pencil against the desk, reading over my script again and again. I scanned each word over and over. Masumi's words had bothered me for the past few days that had passed.

"You forget your lines despite being the playwright."

I shook my head, studying my lines again. I'd burn the words into my head if I had to.

"What are you doing?" Adaya asked, peering over my shoulder. "Is that the script?"

"Yeah," I replied while sighing. "I'm trying to memorize it..."

"You were doing that for three hours yesterday too."

"You counted?"

"Eh, just an estimation," she shrugged. "And it's all I've seen you doing lately besides going to school."

"Right," I said, turning to face her. "Is there something you needed?"

"The director needs some spices," she rolled her eyes. "I swear, curry is the only thing she makes. I'm going to the store to buy some for her, and I was going to ask if you wanted to come since you've done nothing but practice and memorize your script for the past few days. So?"

"Uh, yeah, that's alright with me..." I told her, standing up. "I'll meet you at the front of the dorm in five minutes."

"Okay then," she said, then left the room. I glanced at Masumi, who had been reading a book about curry. That was probably because the director was obsessed with curry, and he was obsessed with the director. I sighed, then quickly organized my desk.

I put on my typical green coat, then came over to the common room. Adaya was patiently waiting at the table on her phone, probably texting one of her friends.

"You ready?" I asked her.

"Yeah."

--

"Huh... Who knew there were this many different types of spices...?" Adaya asked me quietly. We were staring at a large shelf full of different types of spices at a culinary store. "Turmeric... Coriander... Black pepper..."

"Which type of spice did she want?" I pondered aloud.

"Don't remember."

...Did you not ask her before we left...?

"I think she said something about wanting to make a dish with black pepper though."

"Well, that's a start," I said as I spotted multiple different black pepper brands, looking over their names. "Did she say anything about a specific brand?"

"No, just said black pepper. I don't think she really cares."

I scanned the different brands, then pulled out my phone to find the highest rated one. Once I found it, I took a small plastic bottle of black pepper and put it in a shopping basket we'd picked up when we first entered the store.

"Are there any spices you like that we should get?" Adaya asked me.

"I don't memorize spices and every property about them like the director does... So not really. Say, you don't like curry, do you?"

"No," she replied bluntly. "I don't. I just suck it up and eat it without saying anything. I can't find it in my heart to tell the director that I dislike curry. I think she'd lecture me, if anything."

"...That's true..." I sighed. "She'd probably force you to try all different types of curry until she finds one you can tolerate."

She laughed, then went back to searching for spices. There were all different kinds, even sweet ones, like cinnamon.