21: A Son's Search for Hope

Shawn's Point of View

"What's the plan?" I inquired of my father.

We gathered in the meeting room to discuss the plans. We all know the battle is coming, but we can't say when or how long it will last.

Nisha was still asleep, and I'm worried the war will take a long time to resume. I always visit her and speak with her in the hopes that she will listen and become more aware.

Nisha and I haven't dated in a long time. And I promised that after the war is done, I'll do everything I can to court her and show her that she's still a woman, despite being addicted to Fentanyl and not a normal woman.

When my father was talking and answering my query, I came back to reality.

"Dad's dying, and it'll be simple for us to win," I agreed softly. "However, I believe he's got a well-trained man, so it'll be difficult for us to destroy his organization."

That is not how I was thinking before Fentanyl was injected into my body. I want peace, not turmoil, and I don't want conflict. I want them to be able to get together with our family and share some incredible stories. But when they allowed me to participate in the experiment, my perspective shifted dramatically.

"Shawn," my father called me, and I turned to face him. He locked his gaze on me. We're the only ones here, and I'm not sure why he's calling me so loudly. But I have a feeling we're going to discuss something significant.

"Why?" I inquired, leaning back in my seat.

"About your mother..." When he mentioned something about Mom, I straightened my back. For the past few days, I've been preoccupied and haven't thought about my mother. I feel like a terrible son for forgetting about her. Mother has been in excruciating pain for far too long. We're still working on a cure for her, even though she's part of the experiment. I'm not sure why it's taking so long to find a solution."

"What about her?" I took a deep breath and swallowed hard. I'm not sure how to respond when it comes to my mum. She's my weakness, and I can't think clearly when it concerns her. Was she a victim of some sort of misfortune?

He sighed as he paused and said, "The nurse contacted me earlier. There's no way she'll be able to join us. She's becoming increasingly erratic and unable to control herself. She killed the nurse the last time, which is why they segregated her this time," hearing this, my heart seemed to constrict. Tears streamed down my cheeks, and I clenched my fists. My grandfather is to blame for this.

"Is it possible for us to pay her a visit?" I asked, hoping to see her, despite the risks involved. Grandpa is so callous that he wants to harm us mercilessly.

Dad averted his gaze, clearly torn by my request. Exposing ourselves to the dangers of the situation is indeed too risky. But I can't bear the thought of my mother suffering alone.

I feel utterly helpless. Dad remained in silence, and I knew he was powerless to intervene. I need to gather my strength. I'll need all of it. Even though Nisha is unconscious, she is my rock. Seeing her lying there, motionless, feels like a painful weight on my heart. Should I kiss her to try to wake her up? I miss her presence. I do that all the time.

"We must be courageous, son. I don't have the power to keep all of you safe. I'm doing everything I can, but I'm terrified of the results. We can make plans, but we don't know if we'll be able to carry them out," my father said, trying to console me.

Feeling hopeless, I bent my head and wiped away my tears like a child. Whenever Dad talks about Mom, it always affects me this way. I get so frustrated because I don't know how to help her when she's in danger or struggling with her circumstances.