six

six

"The soul, fortunately, has an interpreter - often an unconscious but still faithful interpreter - in the eye."

- Charlotte Brontë

Ivette thought it would be best if I continued to complete the small tasks in the kitchen for the time being, just until I knew what I was doing. I mean cooking didn't look too difficult, I thought I would be able to handle it, but she seemed to think otherwise.

The king had planned some type of gala for the nobles tonight, which I had come to learn was typical of him. They had a grand party nearly every night, it was his way of keeping a close eye on the higher ranking nobles, but the parties seemed to wear down the staff of the château. It was an excuse for the women of noble houses to drink and show off their expensive gowns, in hopes of impressing the others and possibly getting courted as a result.

Not even an hour after lunch was served and the dishes were all done, the cooks had begun prepping for tonight's gala. They wasted no time in between, considering the abundance of work that needed to be completed in the few hours ahead of us. We had to make three-course meals for close to 10,000 nobles, it seemed nearly impossible to me. I couldn't quite understand how it was possible to make so much food in so little time until I was informed of the multiple kitchens throughout the château. The king and queen's apartments had their own large kitchens, with their own private cooks, which meant we cooked for everyone else who didn't sleep in their apartments. I had wondered where Cassius slept, and if he happened to have his own kitchen and private chefs, or if he had stayed within range of his brother, and used his.

Just the thought of his name was enough to send a shiver down my spine. The idea of him commanding the murder of a girl he impregnated was sickening. It terrified me, to say the least, especially knowing he whispered something to the king to ensure I would stay here. I tried to push the thoughts from my head, I knew it was a hopeless thing to worry about. If the duke wanted me here, he was going to keep me here, and it was only a matter of time before he did what he desired with me. I could only hope my fate would not compare to that of Acelin.

I stood beside Ivette, watching the doors cautiously as if Cassius himself were going to come strolling through here. There were nearly 30 women in the kitchen and another 16 men, each assigned to a specific corner of the room. We all hustled, chopping vegetables, hauling wine from the cellars, and prepping the meats for the feast. The smell of such artfully prepared meals invaded my senses and I felt myself growing hungry, but I knew I wouldn't be able to eat such luxurious food. If I was lucky enough, I might have been spared a scrap or two left behind by the full-bellied upper class.

"Mon Dieu!" A woman shouted in the midst of the chaos in the kitchen. "I forgot to bring up Monsieur Cassius' tray of tea, he is going to have my head." She seemed panicked, and for good reason. Every hand in the kitchen ceased movement all at once, everyone was afraid of what was going to happen to this poor girl. Who knew how Cassius was going to act with his tea late, especially with the rumors of his past aggression affairs.

"I can take it for you," I suggested, all eyes turning to me in the otherwise quiet kitchen. Ivette and the other two women who told me the Acelin story gasped loudly, eyes wide with fear. "He knows I am new, I can lie and say I got lost. There is no need for you to be punished for something so trivial. I will take the tray," I explained to everyone. It made sense to me, I could easily say I was lost. The château was large enough anyway, plus I was sure I would truly get lost while trying to find Cassius' chambers.