4 Gustavian Air

Gustavian Air

His eyes, a little droopy darted at her. “That’s a very ineffective way of studying,” he commented, an unsolicited one.

“Huwag kang magmarunong, Vico. Mamaya mo na ako landiin pagkatapos ng long quiz namin,” she said sarcastically. As much as she wants to bicker with him which she loved the most aside from staring at his handsome face, her academics is the first priority this time.

Her preference of memorizing information has nothing to do with him. She rolled her eyes and looked away but she can't help but to steal glances at him. Vico looked older than the last time she saw him. There were dark circles under his eyes. He looked tired but it didn't even hide his cold piercing eyes, his angular jaw, his pinkish full lips and the way it parts a little whenever she annoys him.

Carol's eyes went down. He is in his white uniform. Uniform iyon ng mga med students. Unlike theirs which has blue accents. Vico hasn't cut his hair yet. She used to imagine how it would feel to tussle his soft hair. Nakagat niya ang ibabang labi at napailing. Why is she still checking him out? Gusto niyang tuktukan ang sarili.

To Carol, though she cannot possibly admit, he still makes her feel some type of way. Although she has already set her mind on forgetting him after months of confessions and rejections, there she is alone together with this guy on a rooftop getting unnecessarily giddy like a hormonal teenager. It could’ve been a romantic set-up, if things were different. Kung hindi lang nag-inarte ang lalaking ito, sa isip niya.

Tinuon niyang muli ang pansin sa binabasa. She started mouthing the sentences as her instinct would call.

“I can still hear you,” reklamo nito.

She blew the hair in front of her face, annoyed from his remark. Ito ang paraan niya ng pag-aaral. If she won’t mouth or read aloud her notes then the lessons won't retain inside her goldfish of a brain.

“Nagpapatawa ka ba? We’re literally kilometers apart!” she exclaimed. Winasiwas niya pa ang kamay para idiin ang distansiya nila.

“Just shut your mouth,” he muttured. Tinabunan nito ang mukha ng magazine para bumalik sa pagtulog. Tumayo siya saka lumapit sa harap nito saka tinanggal ang magazine na nakaharang sa mukha ng lalaki. Nakita niya ang nakakunot nitong noo.

A smirk formed on her lips.

“Ang sabihin mo, nadi-distract ka sa ganda ko. Madali lang naman akong kausap, Vico. You just have to beg for my name.”

It’s her pleasure to annoy him.

He scoffed in disbelief. “Nakakatawa ang confidence mo. Do you really think I’m gonna beg for you? Keep on dreaming, Caroline. You’re still that...” he trailed off.

Tumaas ang kilay niya habang hinihintay ang susunod nitong sasabihin. She’s about to pounce at him if he ever says something else. Nagbadya ang inis sa loob niya nang makita ang walang gana nitong mukha. He put down the magazine and stood up. She immediately closed their gap with a grin on her face. Hindi na siya papatalo sa lalaking ito.

Closing their proximity, they were face to face as she push his shoulder. “I’m still what? A slut? Well, just accept the fact that a slut like me can make your groin itch,” she teased him while flashing her sweetest smile.

Umiling lang ang lalaki at hindi nagpatinag sa kanyang mga salita. His lip slightly twitched from the side. Clearly, he was annoyed at her presence. She knows that expression too well. Now that their inches apart, she can see his adam’s apple from this view. Vico stood taller than before. The man smells so good. His scent was seeping through her nose, sending butterflies inside her stomach. She secretly wanted to annoy him more to be with his presence longer.