Automemories

Austria stared at the being before him, eyes bulging and mouth slightly agape. This...was not supposed to happen; what was in front of him was not supposed to- to exist! No. He couldn't do this again. Not again. He wouldn't be able to handle losing another one. Not again.

Though, his boss seemed keen on him taking in the small child before him. A small, fragile child, whose life hangs on a simple thread; who can very easily dissappear at any moment in time. Was this supposed to be payback for something he had done to his boss in the past?

"Well, I suppose this can already be considered settled. You will take in the micronation and raise it as we figure out what to do with it's home," his boss said, a typical bored tone hanging in his voice. Austria gave him a side glare, knowing fully well that his boss didn't seem to understand what exactly he was doing.

"Are you unable to take him into your own care?" Austria asked as politely as he could, easing his cold stare, "this micronation could very well be dealt with in a few months. You certainly have the lifespan."

"It is...unlike you to refuse orders, Roderich," the boss rested his body on his elbows, the desk giving a soft creak, "however, concerning the topic you've brought up, it is only common sense that a micronation should be housed with their mother nation."

"I am...unable to parent a child, sir," Austria concluded, adjusting his jabot out of rushing nerves. He wasnt half wrong; just looking at the boy in front of him was enough to make him homesick for a place that no longer existed.

"Kugelmugel, please wait outside," the boss said, giving Kugelmugel a sympathetic look as he left the room. Austrias look wasnt as kindhearted, seeing as his eyes gave away that he hated looking at the child at all. The boss sighed at this, making sure that Kugelmugel was out of the room for sure until speaking again.

"Roderich, I am aware of your history concerning past nations you had to care for. It must be hard, losing so many children in one lifetime and still having to continue on," Roderich visibly flinched at the word lost and children. Lost would not be the word he would describe some of their departures from him, "However, you should at least try to care for him. He already loves you; you can see it in his eyes."

"I was not lying when I said I cannot take care of children," Roderich choked out, much to his dismay, "he already reminds me too much of them. How am I supposed to take care of something I cannot look at without getting sick to my stomach?"

"You don't have to love him as you did them- if you're that scared of history repeating itself of course," the boss said, an almost challenging tone ringing his words.

Roderich stayed silent for a while after that, his eyes surprisingly vulnerable. After blinking them back into their stone cold walls, he spoke once more, "Fair enough; I shall take care of him for the time being. I expect you to take care of this situation as efficiently as possible."

"Understood, now take him home. There's work to be done and this conversation has gone on far too long."

Roderich gave a polite nod, leaving the room and immediately noticing the child making finger art on the frosted windows. He narrowed his eyes, walking over to him, "May I ask you on what you're doing?"

Kugelmugel turned his head towards Austria, his big purple eyes peering into matching ones. This glaring similarity was already enough to send bile to his throat, but he didnt allow it to show. If he shared emotion with this child, he would begin to grow attached to it; he was far too aware of that drawback, "I'm making art, dad."

Roderich stiffened at that last word, his entire body freezing up and his head spinning. When was the last time someone had considered him a father figure? A long time ago he didn't want to remind himself about.