seventeen

texts from travis riddle, multiple cameos from paul rudd, and a living that 70s show reference :: junemarch 20th, 2020

march 20th, 2020

"WELL, LOOK AT THAT," AWSTEN SAYS, CAUSING US TO BREAK OUR HUG. "Look who texted me." He shows me his phone and lets me read the text from Travis, waiting for my response.

 "Ask him why," I say and Awsten sends in a reply. Travis sends back his answer, and I think about what to say for a few moments before, "Uh...I don't know it right off the top of my head...let me look."

 I pull out my own phone and open up the contacts app. Awsten copies the contact down and sends the message before pulling me back in for another tight hug.

ivy collins
one hour ago

I hang up the call with Lucas and set my phone down on my nightstand. If he had asked me out a few weeks ago, I definitely would've said yes, but then I met Travis and it kind of fucked it all up.

 Is that what I was supposed to do? Part of me feels wrong for rejecting him, but if I didn't, then I wouldn't be able to ask Travis out.

 Right now doesn't exactly feel like the right time to ask Travis out, but what if I wait too long? What if by the time I'm actually ready to ask him out he's got a girlfriend?

 I lay back on my bed and shut my eyes tight, running my hands through my hair I sigh.

 My phone buzzes and I pick it up to find a text from Travis. An 8ball request. We play a game, and then another, and then another, and soon an hour has passed and I tell him I'm supposed to call June, and I'll play again later.

 I call my sister and then go back to playing Travis in iMessage games. After a game or two, he tells me he has to do something, and he'll play me back in a little bit.

 I go to my living room and sit down on the couch, turning on the tv and opening Netflix. I watch a few episodes of Disenchantment and text June to ask for her thoughts as she told me she and Awsten watched the first episode.

 Then, I turn on my DVD player put in the disc for Romeo + Juliet.

 "I can't decide if Juliet's right or wrong in this version," I say aloud to Kelso, my beagle as he jumps up onto the couch next to me. "I mean, yes, she did pick young Leonardo DiCaprio," I continue, scratching Kelso's ears, "but she also didn't pick Paul Rudd, and like, what's even the point then."

 He sets his head on my thigh and exhales.

 "I guess you're right," I reply, "the age gap between her and Paris was pretty big, but I mean, c'mon, it's Paul Rudd."

 The movie ends, and instead of starting another one, I scroll through my phone so I don't wake up my sleeping dog. And soon, I fall asleep on my couch myself.

march 21st, 2020

 The next morning, I decide to watch another movie. I turn on A New Hope and sit back down with Kelso.

 "You're very lucky that I have good taste in men," I tell him when 3PO and R2 meet Luke. "See, look at that, look at Luke Skywalker. Isn't he a total babe? Without my taste, we wouldn't be watching quality movies with these gorgeous men."

 Kelso just looks at me.

 "Well, I'm sorry your dog eyes don't allow you to see how much of a babe he is. You're truly missing out, my friend."

 The movie ends and I get up to turn on The Empire Strikes Back, but before I can start it, there's a knock on the door.

 Kelso jumps up and looks at the hallway to the front door.

 "Who the fuck could that be?" I wonder aloud, walking towards the door. I look through the peephole and open the door quickly. 

 "Hello," Travis smiles.

 "Travis, what are you doing here?" I gasp. "We're supposed to be all quarantined right now?"

 "Oh, don't worry, I've been completely quarantined from everyone else," he assures me and I help him take his suitcases into the apartment. "I mean...kind of, but I haven't been hanging out with people or whatever, I just stopped once on my way up here and that was at my parent's house to drop off my dog, but that was it, I swear. I peed in a soda bottle, I don't know how Awsten did that when he was on tour."

 "You drove all the way here? Jesus, man."

 He tells me he was stuck at home by himself during all of this and couldn't stop thinking about us joking about him visiting me out here.

 He meets Kelso and tells me again about his dog. He apologizes for coming unannounced, but I tell him it was a nice surprise in these odd times.

 "Do you want to watch a movie?" I ask, pulling the leftover lasagna my mom taught me how to make over FaceTime out of the fridge. Travis nods, smiling, and I ask, "Do you want some lasagna?" He nods more, smiling wider.

 We heat up the lasagna and decide on watching The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

 "Good movie, good cast," I say, sitting down on the couch and pushing Kelso away from my plate. "June and I saw this one when it came out," I tell Travis. "We both liked the book."

 "I never noticed this before, but you look a lot like Emma Watson," he says. "Like you two could be twins."

 I shrug. "I like Emma Watson movies because she's my celebrity doppelgänger."

 "I don't think I have one," Travis says.

 I think for a few moments. "I think yours is that Travis Riddle guy."

 "How dare you, that guys ugly."

did i give ivy a dog just now for literally no reason? hell yeah. also i'm 99% sure travis has an android so technically he can't play imessage games, but this is an au so don't yell at me.

also i kinda wanna post a picture of the layout i'm using for ivy's apartment but that's kinda dumb so let's just hope i describe it good.

the way this chapter is over 1,000 words is just,,