E I G H T

"I'm leaving," I blurted out, like saying it quickly would somehow change the meaning.

Sniper's expression told me he was confused. "What do you mean? I don't understand."

"I'm leaving the Core. I'm going to escape."

Realization slowly dawned on his face. He looked at me numbly, almost jokingly. "Really? You know there's nowhere to go apart from here. You're seriously going to escape?" He laughed a little. "Arthemis, that's crazy."

"Except it's not, that's the thing. Think about it, will you? Why do you think they have a Barrier in the first place? To stop us from getting out, maybe, but if we're all raised to be completely obedient, why would we even think about going past the Barrier anyway? And what about the super heavy security? And the gate in the Barrier for heaven's sake! What if it's to stop other people from getting in? I never thought about it until a few weeks ago, and suddenly, everything just clicked. Sniper, they have a Barrier not to frighten us, but to stop us knowing something! Don't you see?" I was standing by then, flailing my arms around wildly in my attempt to explain to Sniper what I had figured out. 

He looked over his shoulder to see if anyone heard me, but no one was there. Urging me to quiet down, he motioned for me to sit again. My heart was beating frantically, trying to break free of my chest like I was trying to break free of my prison.

"Is this why you're suddenly so invested in your classes?" Noticing the strange look I gave him, he added, "you seriously think I haven't noticed?" I shrugged, not knowing exactly how to respond. He huffed again, taking in what I had just told him. "So you're really going to do it, huh? Leave the Core, risk your life for the idea of there being something out there for you to find?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat. I had doubted my decision before, but hearing the doubt come from someone else was an entirely new thing. Pushing down the arising feelings of hesitation, I pursed my lips. "Yes, I'm going to do it. I still don't know how but--"

"Take me with you."

"Excuse me?" I asked in disbelief. Had I heard him right?

"I want to go with you. I don't want to be stuck in this miserable place for the rest of my life, pretending to be something I'm not, pretending I'm Normal. Please, let me go with you."

I was shocked. Of all the things he could have said, I had not anticipated he not only embraced the decision, but he wanted to take part in it as well. I stared at him, his expression telling me he was completely serious about it, and before I could stop myself, I sunk into his arms and hugged him tightly.

"Thank you," I mumbled into his jacket. "Out of all the things you could've said, you said the one thing I never thought you would. But you saying that has given me the motivation to follow through with this, because I was seriously starting to doubt myself just now," I laughed, loosening my grip around him and pulling away. He was smiling, his face flushed the slightest bit with pink.

"Well, I'm glad. Because I never would've had the courage to get out on my own." He turned his face to the East, watching the rosy sky turn golden as the first glimpses of sun crept over the treeline. "We should go soon, classes start in about an hour."

"You sure about this? About leaving?" I asked him, touching his arm.

Sniper turned back to me. "I'm sure."

I sighed happily, feeling some of the weight lift off my shoulders and transfer to his. We would take this on together, and we would get out, and face whatever was in store for us on the other side.

"So, how are we going to plan this?" I asked. "We can't just leave one day without planning at all. And I want to be prepared. I've figured almost everything out except for the escape and I don't know what to do."