F I F T E E N

As I packed the last of my belongings into my backpack, I wondered about the people I'd known at the Core. Sniper had been my best friend, Captain and Bear good teammates and friends, albeit awkward ones. I knew a few other people, who I sometimes partnered with for projects if I really had to, or who I exchanged greetings with in the dining hall. Reaching for a pair of gloves, I thought about the Mask with the map, the one who died. I suppose he was a friend as well, or at least an ally, someone who would've maybe helped me had he been alive. I pushed the thoughts from my mind and did a final sweep of the room. My bed was made as always, but the light blanket I had was folded neatly into my bag. My desk looked neat, maybe a little too neat. I had taken only a few of my possessions but since I didn't have many to start with, the few things that were gone made the desk look uncomfortably sparse. If you opened my closet, you'd see a couple shirts and pants were missing, along with a few extra pairs of socks and all that. I had seven pairs of clothes at the Core, all identical. One for each day of the week. I tied the only jacket I had around my waist and checked through my backpack once more. Clothes? Check. Souvenirs? Check. Small knife that I managed to sneak from the kitchens? Check. Toothbrush and things to keep myself clean even though I'll be in the wilderness? Check. Water? Check. Food? I grabbed the small box of food I had been saving over the week and put it in the bag. I had to be careful what food I brought because the hot food we usually got was likely to go bad sooner. I had been carefully stocking up on things like bread and dry foods, along with vegetables and a handful of spices I could use in case I caught anything on my journey.

Notebook? Check. Medicine? I looked around for the small jar of fever pills I had managed to take from the infirmary. They were on my windowsill, as well as a small bag of bandages and a box of matches. I grabbed them and stuffed them in my bag, then slung the bag around my shoulder. It wouldn't seem too suspicious to be carrying a backpack during cleaning week as a lot of people liked to get rid of things they no longer needed. I could have passed for just another person giving my old clothes to the nursery for the younger kids, which is why I put them on top of all the stuff should someone open the bag. I slipped out of my room, closing the door softly behind me. The cleaners would be there in the afternoon, making their way down the halls and going into everyone's room. The sparse-looking room might raise a few eyebrows but it wouldn't be until evening when I wouldn't show up for the meal would people start to notice.

I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and silently said goodbye to my room, which had seen seventeen years of my life. To the hallway, which I had walked down countless times. As I walked, I said my goodbyes to people, places, things, and let them out of me, setting them free. I didn't look back as I made my way toward the dining hall. Once there, I grabbed as much food as I could and stuffed myself, tucking away the bread and dry food into my bag. I didn't dare look up and risk seeing my old friends. Not when I was finally in the right mindset to let them go.

I kept my head down as I left the dining hall. My plan was to go straight to the hangar that was located behind the teaching building. The Masks sent out drones on the first day to survey the Core and whatever was beyond it; I had seen them flying out into the sky in past years, off to do surveillance who knows where. In the weeks coming up to this day, I had gone over every manual on planes that I could find in the library, as well as using the touchscreens to look through blueprints of the ones used by the Core. I had taken detailed notes and was pretty sure I could figure out how to disable the programmed route and fly it myself. I had never flown a plane before except in simulations, and those were the ones where you didn't even have to touch anything for it to fly. Still, I hoped that I could learn as I went.

I kind of had no choice.

I hurried down to the courtyard and slipped across the dry concrete. We had had a week of rainy days followed by a week of sunny days and the courtyard was bathed in a soft glow from the rising sun. I smiled, happy that the weather had decided to do me a favour for once. It would be hard enough to fly a plane for the first time in clear weather, and rain would just make it worse.

Adjusting my backpack, I walked as casually as I could into the building. The nursery was here, but it was on the other side of the building and not on the way to the hangar, so I tried to pick halls that were empty so as to not raise suspicions. Luckily, most people were outside, enjoying the brief week without classes, so I was able to steer clear of students and avoid halls with Instructors.

Finally, I got to the hangar. Making sure there was no one in sight, I darted across the hall and quickly checked through the window to make sure no one was inside before opening the door and slipping in. I had timed it so that I arrived just a few minutes before the planes took off, and so I had time to hide behind some crates and plan. I had seen the planes from a distance but up close they were beautiful. Sleek and silver, with blue details on the wings. I suppose plane wasn't the right word for them. They were more like jets, small and powerful. I assumed that they were used for things other than surveillance but I had never actually seen them in use on other occasions. I mean, they occasionally brought one out for special events, but never for day to day use.

The rest of the hangar was quite sparse. A few other aircraft were scattered around, as well as some vehicles, but there didn't seem to be much else. A wall across from me held lots of different types of guns and I was contemplating darting across to grab one when the door opened and in walked Sniper. He looked around carefully before walking over to one of the jets. It was open and he stuck his head inside, looking around.

When he looked back up, his face was concerned. He glanced around the room again before saying in a hushed voice, "Arthemis?"

My breath hitched and I almost stood up behind the crate but I stopped myself. I had no idea why he was looking for me.

"Arthemis?" he said again. "Are you in here?"

What if he was looking for me to convince me to stop? What if the Masks had caught on and were using him to find me? I swallowed the lump in my throat and stayed put.

He looked hurt. "Arthemis, if you're here..." He trailed off. Shoulders slumping, he turned to the door. "Never mind."

As he put his hand on the doorknob to push it open, my legs betrayed my mind and I stood up. My mouth betrayed me when I spoke, causing him to jump and turn around tensely. "Wait!"

His eyes widened and he walked toward me quickly. "I changed my mind. I'm coming with you. I can't stay here any longer. I packed food and stuff already."

"Wait, Sniper--" I began.

"This isn't a request. I'm coming with you. I have to."

I was bewildered but decided to question him later. Later, when we would have left this all behind and would finally be free. "Alright then, dumbass," I said, laughing a little at the word he had used to describe himself. "Let's go then."

We waited behind some crates a few metres away from a plane until the big hangar door started opening. Then we darted out from behind the crates and sprinted for the jet. I could see its door slowly starting to close but we managed to get in without having to struggle. Once there, I leaned against the wall and caught my breath and processed the moment while Sniper simply collapsed against the floor.

After my heartbeat slowed, I asked him, "So what made you change your mind?"

He got to his feet. "Actually, it wasn't some big reveal moment. I think the Masks might have suspicions about us. Or me, anyway. They have been watching me more closely, I know it. At the meals, during classes, outside. Arthemis, I think they know something and I think they might be coming--"

At that moment, the jet rumbled to life below our feet. It lurched forward a second later and knocked us off balance. I stumbled toward the front of the jet and grabbed onto one of the seats for balance. Looking out of the front, I realized we were slowly moving forward. "Might want to settle in, I don't know how fast this jet goes."

Sniper sat down in the pilot's seat and nervously ran his hands over the control panel. "Let's hope I can fly this thing."

*****

A/N
Late update today, sorry guys! Ayway it's here so don't complain. Does anyone have tips on how to make a book seem less likea rip-off of another? People saying this book reminds them of Diverget is starting to get to me. Please comment if you do, and I will love you forever. Vote if you enjoyed the chapter, it won't kill you!