Chapter One

"Niklaus, would you do this entire compound the pleasure of leaving your.. unpleasantries at the door?"

Elijah's words were responded to with an eye roll from Klaus just before he walked off, no doubt on a path to more destruction that would result in their downfall. It was simply another mess that Elijah would have to clean up when morning came.

But for now, he's earned a night to himself, which was precisely why he'd ventured out into the busy streets of New Orleans after grabbing a jacket. A few drinks and a bit of jazz at Rousseau's was sure to cure his otherwise sour mood.

On his way to the infamous bar, he couldn't help but notice a man stalking behind a young woman, his intentions clearly negative. The girl seemed to be a tourist, as she'd been holding a map in her hands as she walked, not bothering to glance up. The man that'd been following her didn't get the slightest chance to try anything; Elijah was appearing behind him, a hand clasping around the back of the man's neck to turn him around.

"Run along now," Elijah compelled the man, releasing his hold on him afterwards. He would then raise one of his hands, reaching into his shirt pocket and swiftly removing his handkerchief to blot it over his face, making himself look more presentable before walking up behind the girl himself.

"You seem to be lost," he called out after her.

Lowering her map with a soft sigh, Sarah turned around to face the mysterious voice. And goddamn was she pleased with the sight.. he looked incredibly noble.

"What gave it away? For all you know, I could've been pretending so that a handsome stranger approached me.. offered his help.."

A small grin pulled at Elijah's lips as he gave a subtle shake of his head.

"I'd like to believe that I know all of the local faces in my home, and you.. are not one of them. My memory is impeccable, I'd certainly remember someone of your beauty."

Sarah caught her lower lip between her teeth, gently biting down on it. Moments later she's extending a hand out to him.

"I'm Sarah."

"Elijah Mikaelson," he replied, taking her hand and bringing it up to his lips, pressing a gentle kiss to the back of it. "The pleasure is all mine."

"So, Elijah, you wouldn't happen to know where Rousseau's is, would you?"

"Why of course. I was on my way there, would you do me the immense honor of sharing a drink with me, Sarah?"

"Mmh.. I'll buy my own drink, you buy yours, and we'll sit somewhat close to each other. We'll see what happens from there."

"I do enjoy a good chase," he chuckled, gesturing for her to begin walking first. "Shall we?"