Chapter Sixteen: We're As Close As Strangers

NOTE: I don't have too much to say this time, I just hope everyone's enjoying the story this far!!

I'm making it known that I'm in love with Sarah. That's all. Enjoy!

       —————————————————————

Rebekah was the first to exit the car once it had come to a stop outside of the compound, Klaus following after her to stop her from opening up the trunk.

"You can't leave him in there," Rebekah said.

"Go inside, Rebekah."

"No."

"Now!" Klaus shouted, causing Rebekah's tears to begin falling once more as she reluctantly went inside.

Only after Rebekah was gone did Klaus slowly open the trunk of his car, immediately glancing away after getting a single look at Marcel's body.

"This wasn't your fault.." Sarah said, walking up to Klaus.

"You're right, it was yours." Klaus slammed the trunk closed, stepping closer to Sarah. "My father walks this earth and you didn't think to warn us about it sooner?"

"I couldn't, Klaus. He compelled me not to. I would've come back the second we found him if I could've. I would never betray any of you."

"You've put my family in danger.. my daughter. I'm better off ripping your heart out now and celebrating afterwards."

"Then do it.."

Klaus parted his lips to speak, only to shut them again when nothing came out. There was once a time when he could've killed Sarah with no hesitation, but things were much different now.

"Go inside, Rebekah needs a friend."

Sarah glances over at the compound, and then back at Klaus. "Is that really the best idea?"

"Elijah has it in his heart to forgive you. The countless chances he's given me to prove myself say it all."

"Right.." Sarah nodded slowly, turning away from Klaus before heading inside. If she was lucky, she wouldn't run into Elijah before she was ready. But she had a feeling that the universe would be against her..

When she got up to Rebekah's room and saw the blonde sitting on the ground beside her bed and sobbing, Sarah's immediately frowning. She slowly approached her, sitting down in front of Rebekah and reaching out for both of her hands.

"I'm so, so sorry, Rebekah. I.. I can't even imagine what you're feeling."

"It should have been me," Rebekah whispered. "Not him.."

"None of you should've gotten hurt. I was trying to keep this from happening.. I just wanted everyone to be safe."

"Well never be safe so long as my father is breathing. Especially not Nik."

"Rebekah," Elijah said softly as he stepped into the room, however he instantly froze when he saw another girl in the room with his sister.

. . Sarah.

When Elijah caught himself staring at her, he forces himself to look away, his attention on Rebekah once again. "What's happened?"

Rebekah carefully pulled her hands away from Sarah's and stood up, walking over to Elijah and pulling him into a tight hug. "It's father.. he's back. And Marcel... he's.. he's.." Rebekah couldn't manage to say it, though Elijah quickly caught on and tightened his hold on his sister.

Sarah stood up from her place on the ground, looking at anything that wasn't Elijah's face. She wasn't sure what was making her heart ache more: Elijah's mere presence, or the way that he'd been comforting Rebekah the way he once comforted her. She'd do anything to feel the safety of his arms around her again. . .