Chapter 31: Standstill

~And when the time stopped, he did not know what to think~

The room was silent.

Kurt stared blankly at the ceiling as he lay on his back. His hair was a mess and his cheeks were still red from exertion from running. His fingers were gripping the duvet tightly and his breathing was slightly uneven.

But other than that, he did not show any signs that might indicate that he had been crying.

Because he did not cry. He was too numb to even react properly.

Maybe luck was on his side because when he arrived home, the house was empty. It turned out that the rest of his family had gone out for lunch. He had four missed calls that indicated that Burt had tried to contact him. So in the end, a note was written informing him that they’d be back soon with his own share of lunch.

Funny, Kurt did not even notice that his phone even rang.

He did not know how long he had been lying there. He did not care. He simply continued counting his breaths, eyes trained towards the ceiling. Beside him, his phone rang once. Twice. Thrice. Kurt did not notice.

1 missed call from Blaine.

2 missed calls from Dad.

Then his phone vibrated. Yet still, Kurt ignored it. Or rather, he never noticed.

1 message received from Blaine.

Three thousand and fifty-four breaths later, Kurt heard the door to his room being opened. Slowly, he looked away from the ceiling and his gaze landed on the person standing by the doorway.

It was Sebastian.

Kurt’s heart skipped a beat.

Cautiously, he sat up and stared at the boy quietly as Sebastian moved towards his make-shift bed and lay down, closing his eyes briefly. He looked calm, as if the events that had occurred not a moment ago had never happened. None of them spoke for one long minute.

Until Kurt could not take it anymore.

“Why?” he whispered.

“Why what, princess?” Sebastian answered coolly. Kurt flinched at the return of the nickname, wincing at the hazy memories that began to resurface. He determinedly pushed them back, refusing to give in.

And also, he did not like the tone of Sebastian’s voice. It was cold and cynical. Something which he had not heard in a while. Kurt swallowed thickly.

“Why did you do that?” Kurt asked again, trying to keep his voice from wavering.

Sebastian opened his eyes to regard Kurt with an amused expression. “I did a lot of things today, Kurt. Or rather, people,” he added with a cynical grin. “So you’re going to have to be more specific.”

Something broke inside of Kurt.

“I…just can’t believe you,” said Kurt, his voice at the edge of breaking. And when Sebastian continued to regard him with his cynical grin, Kurt grew angrier. And more hurt. “I should have known better,” he continued. “I’ve known you for a long time and yet…” Kurt let out a shuddering breath. “I fell for it.”

Sebastian merely raised an eyebrow. “I can’t understand a single word you’re saying.”

“You’re a jerk, that’s what I’m saying,” Kurt snapped, his tears finally falling from his eyes. “I’m saying that you’re a cold-hearted bastard who likes to play with other people’s feelings without any sign of remorse. I’m saying that I can’t believe I actually thought I love you.” Kurt glared at Sebastian. “Why do you think it’s right for you to give me mixed signals just to…to lead me on and-,”