four; observe

Thomas woke the next morning with zero recognition of the place he had fallen asleep in.

He stood up and rubbed his eyes. Turning around a few times before remembering what had happened last night.

Newt. Ratman. Tracy? Audrey.

He sighed loudly and walked over to the nearest bookshelf located on the side of the bed he had just awoken from. He found a clock.

5:57am

Why did he wake at this ungodly hour? Who knows.

He raided the room for some clean clothes, realising that he had slept in the ones he was given last night before sneaking into the lab with his best friend.

Nothing. There was absolutely nothing in any of the drawers. He sighed again and then yawned. Thomas decided to walk out into the small living room in which he and Audrey had their conversation last night. He pushed open the door and walked into the neat, white room. It was cold and uninviting.

Tracy sat on one couch and Audrey on the other. She had her long dirty blonde hair neatly a fishtail plait that hung on her back. She was wearing a white blouse and jeans. Thomas assumed Tracy had given them to her.

"Ah, finally, the beast has awoken," Tracy laughed. Her body was in an awkward position on the couch.

"It's only 6 o'clock, it's not even late," Thomas replied, his voice hoarse and he began combing his fingers through his hair.

"I know, but you two have a lot to do today, a lot of it to do with Subject A5," Tracy stated, standing up.

"You mean Newt?" Thomas coughed.

"Ah, we do not speak of the subjects names that have been sent into the maze, simply because there is no point," Tracy said a little too formally.

"Did Chancellor Paige tell you to say that?" Audrey giggled.

"Yeah, you can tell can't you," her eyes dropped over dramatically, but then she laughed along with her.

"What are we doing today? Why did I have to wake up so early?" Thomas groaned.

"I'm taking you both to observe 'The Swipe' process," Tracy admitted. "They're sending him in early."

Thomas' heart felt like it had just been run over by a truck.

Audrey sat on the couch, staring at the boy. She didn't remember how important Newt was to her, so she felt no remorse.

"What? What do you mean he's going in early?" Thomas felt like crying and it took all of his strength not to.

"Well, they haven't sent up many Subjects and it's impossible for them to know that the box comes on a certain time. They're sending him up early because he's smart and he'll bring them all together. I sorry Tom, there was nothing I could do," Tracy's funny attitude had been washed away, her tone was more sincere.

Thomas just stood there, unable to think of anything to say.

"Here are some clothes, go get changed and we'll get you two some breakfast," Tracy smiled again. She stood up and handed him the clothes which were folded neatly in a pile. "I'll be outside."

+

After Thomas had changed into his crisp white t-shirt and jeans, he walked out of his room and saw Audrey.

She hadn't left the spot on the couch, although this time her head was in her heads.

"Are you alright?" Thomas asked.