A Peaceful... Oh wait... Nevermind

It was the day before the Ball. The actual big celebration that everyone was here for.
All the conferences were taken care of. All the realms agreed to keep the peace. (At least for the next hundred years.) and everyone seamed to be as happy as ever.
Or at least that was almost true. There was still one more big conference meeting. The one where all the kings sign their name on a magical pice of paper that will seal their agreements.
"Are you sure you won't stray too far from the group?" Loki was asking you at the front of the palace where everyone else had gathered as well.
You see, the only people that were allowed in the conference room with the magical piece of paper were the Kings and princes. They were the ones who got to stay behind and agree with each other's terms of peace.
So on the day of the magical signing of the paper the princesses and queens all went out on a trail ride to go see the wonders of the realm they were visiting. It was tradition, plus it was a good way to make friendships.
After all, what better way of making new friends than to be alone with a bunch of strangers for hours on end?
"Loki I'll be fine." You assured your worried boyfriend. "We're taking at least half of the palace guards with us as protection. And I promise I will stay with the group. No madder how boring it gets."
Loki didn't look too convinced.
    You couldn't imagine why Loki was so worried. It wasn't like you hung off a three hundred food cliff before to get a cool picture. Or followed one of your older cousins down an advanced mountain biking trail and totally biffed it when coming off a nine foot ledge. Nor have you gone white water rafting fell out of your raft then had to rely on your swimming skills to make it through the rapids.
       No...
      That would be ridiculous.
      Even if you had done all those stupidly dangerous things it wasn't like Loki would know about them.
      Right...?
"Can you do me a favor before you go?" Loki asked.
You cocked your head to the side like a curious little puppy waiting for him to continue.
Loki pulled out a beautiful elegant silver pendent. "Can you wear this for me?" Loki asked you.
    You looked at the pendent. It was elegantly designed with two snakes intertwined, each one biting its own tail.
     "That's your symbol." You told Loki as you looked it over. You had seen it before in the museum one of your uncles work at. It was in the Viking exhibit. Before you went you read a book all about the Vikings. You had a lot of fun surprising the workers with your knowledge about Vikings and taking over their explanations.
      "It is." Loki agreed with you, surprised but pleased you recognized it. "I placed a tracking spell on it. As long as you wear it I will be able to find you."
"I will be honored to wear it if it puts your mind at ease." You told Loki with a smile.
You saw him relax at that, glad you weren't putting up a fight over this. He clasped the necklace around your neck giving you a kiss before you had to leave for the trail ride.
*
     You rode along side Jane, giving her pointers on how to ride and assuring her nothing was going to happen.
      She really wasn't a horse person.
      "Thor says you've been having nightmares." Jane told you, trying to start up a conversation that wasn't, 'keep your heals down,' or ' back straight' or even, 'choke up on the reins.'
     You looked around the group of princesses, queens and solders, making sure no one was listening in on your conversation. You didn't want word to get out that Loki's lady was having out of body experiences.
You weren't surprised that Thor knew of them. After all Loki went to go tell his brother about what you had told him when you were getting ready for bed last night. But you were surprised Jane knew about it.
Was it really that difficult for Thor to keep his mouth shut?
"Yeah." You agreed with Jane when you determined that no one was listening to the two of you. They were all to busy with their own conversations. "It's nothing to be too worried about."
"Really?" Jane asked, not believing you in the slightest. Thor must have told her otherwise.
"Well there's nothing I can currently do about it." You told her, trying your absolute hardest to not snap. You were beyond worried about it. One does not go around without their body to places they've never been. It was weird.
       Jane finally took the hint that you didn't want to talk about it. So she started telling you about Thor. You didn't mind, on the contrary you were quite happy she changed subjects. You were even happier the subject was Thor. That way you could just listen and not have to talk.
*
     The group rode to a small village on the outskirts of a forest.
     It was a cute quaint village with houses scattered around, barn animals in their pastures, and a big town hall looking building set right next to a massive river. The people were all out decorating the town for the big party tomorrow.
     "This is where we are going to stop and eat lunch." Frigga informed the group as she dismount her horse. Everyone else soon followed. There were a few village boys that came over, taking everyone's horses to the near by stable.
      Everyone's horses, except for yours.
Blaze would not allow anyone to take him from you. Pinning his ears back at anyone who he deemed got to close to you.
So you let him stay with you. You knew he wouldn't wander off, so you told the nice villagers that he was ok to stay.
*
     The lunch was delicious, as expected, and not too long after everyone was mounted up on their horses once again.
     You grabbed Blaze's mane, swinging up onto his back gracefully. It was still no stirrups November. Which meant you didn't have a saddle nor bridle.
     The group started walking into the woods, following the soldier who had been leading the group everywhere, going at a slow enough pace so everyone could catch up if they needed to.
     Frigga was about to mount her own horse when a villager came running up to her.
      "My queen." The woman greeted Frigga politely, bowing to her when she got to her. "I know you are busy with the Harvest Ball but please, some of the village children have fallen ill. We would greatly appreciate it if you could take a look at them."
       "Of course dear." Frigga told the lady kindly, gently.
      "Thank you." The lady told the queen, so revealed that she was on the verge of crying.
       "I can stay with you." You offered Frigga as you and Blaze walked up to the pare.
"Thank you dear but I don't won't to burden you with all this." Frigga told you. "You came here as a guest. Go have fun with the others."
"It wouldn't be a burden." You told Frigga. "I would like to stay and offer you some protection. Loki was very adamant about staying with the group I'm sure Odin was too. Telling me about bandits and other undesirables."
Frigga chuckled at that finding it amusing a little powerless Midgardian was offering to keep her safe. "Don't worry child, I have guards with me. I am perfectly safe. Go. Have fun with the others."
"If you're sure..."
"Have fun." Frigga told you again, shooing you away with her open kindness.
You laughed at that, waving goodbye as you supered Blaze into a lope to catch up with the group.
*
      The forest was so beautiful and peaceful. The red ,orange, and brown leaves softly fluttering down from their branches. Covering the ground in a carpet of colors. There was absolutely no danger in sight as everyone calmly walked on the trail, talking and laughing with each other.
Absolutely no sign of danger.
Until Blaze abruptly stopped, raising his head up to sniff the air. His ears flicked around as he scanned the forest looking for... something.
      "What is it bud?" You asked him, gently placing your hand on his neck. You were alert now too. Blaze never acted up randomly, there was always a reason.
     Blaze whinnied, striking out with his front leg pawing at the ground.
There was definitely something wrong.
Then there was a low growl from behind you fallowed by a horse whinnying then a thud of something heavy hitting the ground.
Blaze whipped around at the same time the lead guard barked orders to his soldiers to form ranks around your group.
There, standing over the downed guard and his horse, was a giant rabid wolf with a burly looking man mounted on its back.
    Everything happened so fast after that. The next thing you knew you were pushed into the center of the circle with all the other princesses and queens while the royal guards rallied around you all.
    More wolves with riders jumped out of the forest, at least fifteen of them in all. The wolves went after the guard's horses. Getting under their throats and latching their strong jaws into their jugular, killing them. While the men fought the guards.
The fight was brutal, and completely unfair.
The guards were prepared to fight off bandits not these... wolf warriors.
"Go!" The lead guard barked to your group when he realized he was fighting a losing battle. The wolf warriors were too strong for your little army of guards. Especially unprepared guards. All he could do was give your group time to run.
"You heard the man!" You yelled at the group, going into team mission mode. Right now the mission was to keep the royals safe. If one of them died there would be a full out war between the realms.
You couldn't let that happen.
"We must go! Follow this trail. I will make sure all of you make it back to the palace!" Once your words made it through the royals thick, shocked heads, they spurred their horses forward, all of them going into a breakneck gallop.
You watched them leave, making sure no one was left behind. "Come on Jane." You barked at the scientist. "We must leave now."
"But the guards..." Jane objected. "They will die."
"And they will die with horror." You snapped.
Jane gasped at that, unable to believe anyone could be so cold hearted.
"Look Jane, if we die the guards would have died for nothing. They are fighting right now not just for us but for their honor. So their name can be sung in the halls of Valhalla. Do they not deserve a noble death?"
Jane hesitated, looking back at the last few guards left standing.
"Jane I'm ordering you to go. NOW!" You barked at her.
Jane didn't look like she wanted to go. She wanted to save the guards, but you, nor Blaze, were going to let her die.
Blaze pounded his hoof on the ground, nickering at Jane's horse. A direct order to go back to a palace as fast as it could.
Jane's horse nickered back before running off in the direction of everyone else. You following close behind.
*
"They're catching up!" One of the princesses practically sobbed as you and the group galloped down the dirt trail.
You and Jane had caught up with them not too longe ago. You hung in the back of the group, barking out directions and making sure everyone was safe and accounted for. You needed to get the group back to the palace in one piece.
Unfortunately the princess was right, the wolves were catching up. It was only a matter of time before they were all on you again.
You needed to buy the group some time.
"Do any of you know the way back to the palace form here!?" You asked the group, yelling over the sound of thundering hooves.
"I do!" Jane yelled back. "Thor took me out on a picnic here a few days ago!"
"I need you to lead everyone back!" You told her. "I can buy you guys some time! When you get back go straight to Loki and Thor! Tell them about the wolf warriors! Sent help!"
"But you will die!" Jane objected.
She was really concerned over death today.
"I'm an Avenger." You told her. "I got this!"
You didn't. But it was what she needed to hear.
"Jane I need you to get them back!" You told her again.
Jane thought for a moment before finally nodding her agreement. "You can count on me."
You gave her your best crazy smile before pulling Blaze into a stop, whipping around. Ready to face the wolf warriors.
"Time to stand our ground bud."