Chapter 16

Tiana's POV
After my call with Steve I was still trembling with fear. I still couldn't believe Hydra took Rheya. Steve told me to stay calm, him and the team will get Rheya. I don't doubt they would but how can I stay calm. My best friend was taken hostage. We were supposed to go out and celebrate today. Rheya got a job offer in Paris. She is going to be the lead fashion designer for one of the most prestigious fashion magazines in France. She loves kids but fashion designing is her true passion. I'm so proud of her. She worked so hard for that position. I'm going to miss her so much when she leaves for Paris. I really hope Steve and the team get to her in time.

After pacing around in Rheya's apartment, I decided to go home instead. I started to feel uneasy being in her apartment. Worried that they could come after me next. When I arrived at my apartment, I found Steve was already there waiting for me. "Tiana, thank god you're alright. How are you holding up?" He asked frantically as he pulled me in for a hug. "Honestly, I'm not doing so well. I don't know what to do. I feel like I should go out there looking for her. I can't do nothing!" I said, as I burst into tears. Steve rubbed his hands up and down my back trying to comfort me. "Shh, it's okay. We'll find her,  I promise you." He said soothingly.

"Wait... Why aren't you with the rest of  the team?" I asked, confused. "Everyone said it would be best that I stay here to protect you. They might come after you next." He explained. "Oh..okay. What about Thor? Did he go with the rest of the team?" "Yeah, he's with them. They are already searching for the people who took her." "Oh, okay. That's good." I said, trying to catch my breath from the crying. "It was Thor's idea for me to stay behind actually." Steve said softly, as he released me. "Really?! How come?" I asked, surprised. "He said, I was the only one he trusted enough to keep you safe. He also told me that he cares about you a lot and will do everything in his power to bring back Rheya safely. "Steve mentioned. "That's so sweet. I'll have to thank him later." I smiled, thoughtfully.

"Do you know why they would take her?" I asked him, as I went to the kitchen to make us tea. "I've been asking myself the same question." He answered, following me into the kitchen. "It just doesn't make sense." He said, sitting down on the stool. "Have you talked to her about any of our missions?" He questioned. "Are you asking me if I leaked any confidential information to her?" I asked, irritably" I didn't mean it like that, I just meant - "  "That's just because she is my best friend. I tell her everything about my life, including Shield secrets." I said sarcastically, cutting him off.

"Tiana, please listen to me, that's not what I meant. Maybe it was something you didn't think was confidential." He said calmly, trying to diffuse the situation. "Even if I did say something to her, wouldn't it because you told me about it first. You do talk about Shield stuff with me don't you?" I countered. He didn't say anything. "That's what I thought." I huffed, storming off. "Tiana, wait, I'm sorry. It wasn't meant to come out like that." He called out to me. I just ignored him and headed to my room. I was in no mood to hear his apology. How could he ask me a question like that?!  Does he not trust me?

Once I cooled off, I went to apologise to Steve. I shouldn't have been so defensive, despite the question being offensive. Steve and I have been through so much together. I never would have thought he would ask me a question like that. I knew he would be in his room. So much for spending some time apart. I knocked twice. "Come in." Steve answered. I walked in, feeling embarrassed about my behaviour. "Steve, I want to apologise for how I reacted earlier. It was uncalled for. I also shouldn't have ignored you when you were trying to apologise. That was extremely rude of me." I said, sitting down next to him. "Tiana, you have nothing to apologise for. I was being a jerk. I shouldn't have asked you a question like that. I am so sorry for being so stupid and treating you so poorly. You don't deserve that. I want you to know that I trust you more than I trust anyone else. Will you please forgive" He apologised, looking at me sadly.