Chp. 2-Friends

Eliana

I woke up to a light tapping on my thigh and lifted my head off of Charlotte's shoulder to see my daughter sleeping with her arms wrapped around her neck.

I raised my hand to rub my baby's back as Charlotte leaned in to tell me that our stop was next.

"I'm sorry for falling asleep on your shoulder and for my daughter being all over you" I apologized with a soft smile.

"I would have told you if I was uncomfortable" she whispered back.

"NEXT STOP 110th STREET"

"I think that's us, that's right around the corner from the park right?"

"Yeah, that's it. I'll take her" I said reaching out for Ry as she sleepily made her way into my arms.

***

The walk to the farmers market wasn't too far from the subway so we didn't need to take the bus.

Ry walked in between us holding each of our hands and jumping over puddles. She is having the time of her life and it put a smile on my face to see her like this.

Ryan is never this comfortable around strangers, she didn't even like her playmate as much as she's enjoying Charlotte's presence.

Ryan has separation anxiety. It started when she was 9 months old. I started noticing symptoms but I never thought much of it until I brought her to a child psychiatrist who explained her disorder to me. She's been around strangers before but she's never been comfortable enough to fall asleep in their arms or even hold their hand. Charlotte was different.

"What's going on in that head of yours?" Charlotte questioned snapping me out of my thoughts.

"I was just trying to remember if I made an actual grocery list or not" I lied

"Alright then, I'll grab a basket"

***

After the three finished making their rounds in the market and Charlotte insisted on paying, they made their way back to the train station where they would soon take different paths.

"I had a great time getting to know you today" the tall blonde spoke out to the young mother.

"I don't believe you learned much, however, I must admit I enjoyed your company, so thank you."

"Well if you agree to have lunch with me, maybe I'll find a way into that beautiful head of yours."

"My my, Charlotte, are you asking me on a date?"

"Darling, call it what you want however I thought we were on the road to friendship."

"Gosh, you're right, where's my mind? Now as amazing as lunch sounds I still have two toddlers to tend to."

"How about we visit the statue of liberty and then go for lunch?"

"That doesn't sound too bad where do you want me to meet you?"

"Don't worry about that, I'll pick you girls up at 10 and we'll figure it all out then."

"Um alright, it sounds like a date, sorry a plan. Here's my number so we can figure everything out."

"Don't apologize, my love, I look forward to seeing the three of you soon."

leaning down to Eliana's side Charlotte kissed her cheek and ran her thumb across a sleeping Ryan's cheek.

"Bye" Eliana whispered as Charlotte walked away.

***

Eliana

                         *Flashback*

That's it I've sent the email and now all I can do is wait. Kennedy and I have been friends since 5th grade and we're now in 11th, we've had ups and downs but that doesn't mean I'll ignore clear signs of self-harm. She wants to die is what came to mind when I noticed the horizontal scars on her forearm.

"Hey Ken, how have you been? you seem kinda down"

"Eli, I'm a lesbian, and my mom is homophobic. So I cut. I know you noticed my scars and that's the only reason why you're checking in."

"Ken don't say that, I love you."

                *Present*

The memories of when my life began to fall apart wouldn't stop racing through my mind.

I miss when things were normal. When I didn't have to keep running and when I was at peace with myself.

I remember wanting to die. I began to cut, but I was punished when my scars became visible.

My sweet girls saved my life.

"El" my younger sister Iris shouted bringing me back to reality

"Yeah sorry, what's up?"

"I was asking who Charlotte was, Ryan was telling me about some woman you met?"

"Oh Charlotte, she's just a new friend I made who the girls and I will be joining for lunch tomorrow."

"Mhm, that sounds nice. Where did you meet her?"

"On the way to the train, she lent us an umbrella and went to the market with us."

"Why did she go with you?"

"I'm not sure maybe she just wanted to get to know me."

"Well she'll get to that at lunch" she ended with a smirk

"Yea I guess we'll just wait and see"

"Just remember to be careful. God knows who the woman may be in contact with

>>>>><<<<<

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I want to hear your thoughts, what do you think about Charlotte so far?

-R