38. The Deep Well, The Bond, The Blood, The Resentful Eyes

A child is born inside the bottom of the dried-up Well. That is called birth.

The child carries a significant amount of human blood. This child will grow up what will be called a Carat that will soon replace the human population.

A Carat has the ability to embrace, and bond with the superior kinds of which was known to need human blood to reproduce in this era. Only humans tend to break, Carats don't.

That is if the Well where the Carat is born withstands the danger of the bond.

The Well is deep and warm, it shows how much that child is born a part-demon.

But the Well is also surrounded with vines, just enough for the child to climb and peek on the beautiful blue sky, the child is also born a part-angel.

Years have passed, the child has reached maturity.

Water started to appear at the bottom of the Well. The Child was petrified but at the same time, adoring the idea that the water lifts him up to the surface. The sky is bluer there. This is called Bonding.

The first time the water lifts the child to the surface, the vines enveloped the child's whole body so tightly it burnt marks. This is called Mating Marks.

The burnt marks sometimes last several days, until the water completely disappeared – this is when the Bonding failed, or the Mating shows incompatible.

One day, water started flooding in again, all and the same. Only this time the vines didn't hold the Child down – a hand had lifted the Child out of the Well for the first time in his life. The first contact burnt, in the most pleasurable way, it almost didn't happen. This was when Mating started.

The child remained at the surface, spending the days with the newfound mate.

A happy ending; the child has never once returned in the Well.

Ignorance.

Up on the surface, the world is big. They're not alone, the child's mate has eyes towards another.

The vines are lurking behind the child, prepared to pull once again.

Years have passed once again; as the child's mate continued to look the other way ignoring the vines approaching – the child was pulled back.

The child's mate failed to protect – failed to return the bond.

The Voiding began.

As the mate continued to look in front, the child behind slowly and slowly slides back inside the Well – mouth unable to scream for the mate's name. This is a two-year worth of torture.