21 | Allure

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────

I lay awake in bed the night after Larry's birthday staring at the ceiling, letting my thoughts run free. A fleeting glimpse of the alarm clock on the bedside table told me that I'd been restless for about an hour.

I let my head fall back onto the soft pillow, taking a deep breath and closed my eyes. I listened to the calming sound of the crickets chirp's outside and tried to blend out everything else.

I turned around, adjusted my bedcover, shifted again and focused on the crickets. For a moment or two I lay still then repeated this ritual again and again. After a while, still unable to get some sleep my eyes shot open and I took a deep breath.

God, How frustrating!

When my gaze fell to the alarm clock again my annoyance grew along with the unpleasant feeling of a dry mouth. Finally I stepped out of bed and made my way to the dark corridor to get me a glass of juice. Larry's and Xandra's bedroom door was closed but still I tried to move without making any noise to avoid waking them. I crept downstairs and fumbled for the light switch in the dark. Blinking twice before grabbing the glass on the table I spotted a pack of apple juice. Listening to the ticking of the clock on the wall, I was quick to empty the glass within seconds.

As I turned around and spotted the figure leaning at the wall I jumped but could manage to suppress a surprised scream at last minute.

„What are you doing?", Xandra asked barely audible, her arms crossed.

„I couldn't sleep and was thirsty", I whispered back, „But please never sneak up on me like that again. I nearly had a heart attack"

A smile formed on her lips as she slowly stepped into the light, giving me a view of the short white beach dress she was wearing. The intense color of her orange bikini stuck out.

„And what are YOU doing?", I asked in confusion. I highly doubted that Xandra had been sleeping in her dress and bikini.

„Mh, couldn't sleep either. I'm going for a swim. Wanna join me?"

My mouth fall agape, my eyes darted to the clock and back to Xandra. „A swim? It's 1 a.m."

Xandra shrugged. „Is that a problem? - Like I said: You may join me. Unless you've anything better to do" She winked but I still stood there frozen to the spot eyeing her suspiciously. „You know where to find me" Xandra finally walked past me, leaving a puzzled me in the kitchen. I watched Xandra walk into the darkness to the pool that was lit by a few yellowish pool lights. As Xandra stripped off her dress and adjusted her long blonde hair I couldn't stand there any longer.

Alright, swimming at 1 a.m...here we go. Why not?

On tiptoes I crept upstairs, changed into my bikini and scurried downstairs. Before taking a deep breath and stepping outside I turned off the lights to make sure not to wake Larry. Although it was the middle of the night it was still kinda warm and humid outside.

„Look who's back", Xandra purred from the pool and cupped her chin in her hand on the pool's edge as she watched me approach the water.

„Of course..! I didn't want to miss out on this" The cool water surrounded my body as I waded in while Xandra's gaze was always fixed on me. „But still I have to tell you you're completely insane going for a swim in the middle of the night", I joked. The cool water felt so pleasant against my skin.

„Am I? Well, that makes two of us then, right?", Xandra winked as I swam to her who still lingered near the edge of the pool. The tips of her blonde hair floated on the water.

„I just followed your bad example", I countered with a cheeky grin, making her raise her eyebrows in disbelief. „Okay, joking aside, this is actually so refreshing"

„See?" A satisfied Xandra motioned closer to me until our bodies were close enough to touch. A glint appeared in her brown eyes as I threw my arms around her neck, enjoying the sensation of her warm skin. The sorrows of yesterday were long forgotten. As our chests touched she placed her hands on my hips, holding me in place.

A million stars sparkled in the black sky above us. How many other galaxies existed out there? Thousands? Millions? Crazy how there must be countless individuals out there and yet I'd met Xandra out of all of them. My uncle's girlfriend...

„What are you pondering about?", I heard Xandra ask softly. Her eyes roamed my face in concern.

„Nothing", I mumbled and averted my gaze to stare in the darkness behind her.

„I don't believe you. What's on your mind?" I could tell at the tone of her voice that she was a bit disappointed by my lie. Well done...Why did we always have to worry about everything...

„I just thought about the future, wondering what will happen after graduation...I won't likely be able to stay here, right?", I finally admitted. Xandra remained silent for a moment, biting her lip.

"You can stay as long as you want"

"That's sweet of you but I can't live with my uncle forever without feeling...guilty"

She nodded and sighed. "I know"

„You know...I really don't want to make you choose between me and this life here in Vegas. You live in a beautiful house, in a beautiful area with a cute dog and —"

„Hold on!", Xandra interrupted me, her eyes shimmering in the darkness. „I already made my decision long ago. I'm not happy with this life I'm living here but you came and made it brighter. Wherever you go, count me in, sweetheart, will you?"

Her words melted my heart so I hesitated to ask the next question. „And...Larry?"

Xandra averted her gaze and took a moment to think about the whole inevitable issue. I looked down, watching the skewed reflection of our bodies in the water but soon afterwards I felt Xandra draw me closer to her.

„We'll find a solution, sweetheart", I heard her mumble. „I promise"

I closed my eyes and nodded, comforted by the touch of her body. "I love you", I whispered.

"I love you, too, (Y/N)"

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────