10

I woke up with a gasp. The last thing I remember was laying in Roman's bed as I was disappearing and then...

"NO!"

I jumped as somebody screamed from the next room. I slowly got up, making my way to Logan's room.

"Patton?" Logan called as I knocked on the door.

"Sorry L... it's just me, Virgil." I said.

I heard him sigh, "come in."

I opened his door and went to sit next to him.

"So... it seems were back... home." Logan sighed.

I simply nodded.

It was silent for a few moments, until we heard Janus scream out for Remus.

"We should check on him." I said.

"Yes, we should." Logan stood up.

I followed him out to Janus' room. Logan opened the door to find Janus was curled up by his bed, sobbing into his arms.

"Are you alright?" Logan asked, sitting next to him.

"They dont remember us." Janus cried softly, "they dont know who we are, or what we did, or anything about author and other worlds."

I shook my head, "n-no... No! Wheres the books!"

I ran to my room, slamming my hands on my desk to activate it. But nothing happened.

"No!" I screamed, searching all the drawers for Roman's book.

"Virgil," Logan placed hand on my  shoulder, "the books are gone."

"No damnit!" I grabbed a sheet of paper and a pen off my floor and began furiously scribbling about Roman, Remus, and Patton, "Work!"

As soon as I finished the last sentence, my room transformed.

"Roman!" I yelled, nearly jumping out of my seat.

All three boys jumped, Remus falling off the couch in surprise.

"Virgil!" Roman yelled back, a big smile on his face.

"Virgil! Kiddo! You're alive!" Patton gasped, "is Logan there!?"

"I'm here Patt!" Logan yelled, but Patton didnt seem to be able to hear him.

"Hes here Patton." I said, "you can't hear him for some reason."

"Oh..." Patton seemed to deflate a bit.

"I'm going to try something, I'll be right back." Logan said, rushing out of the room.

I nodded to him before Roman started speaking again.

"So what happened?" Roman asked.

I shrugged, "I dont know. Maybe our universe pulled us back?"

"Or perhaps," Logan grunted, pulling his chair into my room and setting it by my desk, "someone else pulled us out."

"Logan!" Patton squealed, on the verge of tears.

"Wheres Janus!?" Remus asked, quickly sitting up with a black haton his head.

"Hes on his way." Logan smiled.

As if on cue, Janus ran into the room with his chair.

"I'm here!" He panted, "I'm right here Ree!"

"Jan!" Remus grinned brightly.

Janus laughed weakly, setting his head on the table, "God I wish I could hug you right now."

"You three wont be doing any of that anytime soon."

A voice at my doorway made us all jump. It was Thomas.

"Oh shit..." I mumbled.

"Virge? What's going on!?" Roman asked.

"That's enough!" Thomas waved his hand and the table disappeared.

"No!" Janus yelled, falling to his knees in shock.

"Do you three even know how much danger you put yourselves in!?" Thomas yelled, "you're lucky we were able to pull you out before you all died! That was stupid and reckless!"

I bit my lip hard. It was all my fault. It was my idea to put myself in Roman's story. It was my fault Logan and Janus had to go too. It was my fault we nearly died...

"Now, what I was going to tell you last month." Thomas sighed, "you three have graduated and are moving on to your permanent characters."

I felt my heart break. I'd never see Roman ever again.

"You will be moved to your houses next week and then you'll start your story." Thomas said.

"What is we dont want to?" Janus stood up sharply, "what if we want to go back!?"

"I'm afraid that's not possible." Thomas sighed, "I have to go now."

Thomas walked out without another word, leaving us all in shocked silence.

"We have to find the books." Logan said through gritted teeth.

"Agreed." Janus hissed.

I stood up, "I think this is the first time we've all agreed without having to find a compromise."

Logan smirked and stood up, "then let's go."