XXIV

False Pretenses

Es stood as well within the other suite occupied only by Noel, Watari, Misora Naomi and himself.

Turning off the mic, he told Watari, "Then I'll be off to carry out my mission. I have a feeling that Amane Misa will try to meet Light tonight."

"Take care," Watari said, those two words conveying all of his worries.

Es smiled and gave a playful salute.

He walked out of the room and stepped into an area in the hotel without any security cameras and stepped right into a mirror on the wall.

Es stepped back out through a car window after checking to make sure that there were no cameras or people around.

What kind of excuse he could go with this time...?

Es strolled along the street absently.

He was not too far from the Yagami home, actually.

He just did not walk towards it immediately since he had no idea how to get in.

That was when a familiar face appeared in front of his own.

Es did little more than to blink in surprise. It was far too convenient. Unbelievably so. Just what were the odds of coming across Yagami Light's younger sister on her way home from school when he was just wondering how he would even be allowed into their house.

"Sue-nii-chan!" Yagami Sayu greeted merrily.

"Sayu-chan... this was close to your place, wasn't it?" Es said as though only just realising this fact.

Sayu nodded with a laugh, not finding Es suspicious at all.

"I don't think mom would mind if you come in for dinner. Onii-chan's been out lately," Sayu invited with a grin, not realising how glad Es was to hear that.

Es wanted to hug the girl even if he was not prone to such actions.

He hardly felt strong emotions for humans, but he felt touched when Sayu took the initiative to invite him and had almost done it anyway.

Sayu was truly a sweet child.

"I would appreciate it," Es said gratefully. "My father passed away recently and my mother's back home grieving, so I live alone."

Sayu covered her mouth as tears of sympathy welled up in her eyes.

"Don't worry, we're fine," Es hurried to say.

Sayu shook her head and whispered, "My condolences... if you'd like, you can come over more often. You're always welcome to join us. I'm sure mom would only be happy to have you."

Es smiled and reached out to ruffle her hair.

"Thank you, Sayu-chan," Es said gently.

Sayu grabbed his hand and dragged him along to her home, Es not resisting as he humoured the girl and allowed her to do as she wished.