XXV

Circling Around

"Ah, Yagami-kun, good afternoon," greeted L.

Light stiffened imperceptibly at the sight of the detective.

"Takada-san, I need to talk to him alone about something. Let's meet up again later," he told the girl walking beside him, an elegant brunette with short hair.

The girl, Takada Kiyomi as L managed to identify her, was startled by this, but agreed and walked away with a doubtful backwards glance.

"Your girlfriend?" L queried.

"Nevermind that," Light sighed, hiding his shock. "Didn't you say it's scary to appear in public? Is this alright?"

"I realised that if Yagami-kun isn't Kira, I should be fine... since only Yagami-kun knows who I am," L informed.

Light almost flinched visibly at the revelation.

"If I die in the next few days, Yagami-san will take over the investigation and every L will know that Yagami Light is Kira," L stated monotonously.

This time, Light was not able to hide his jolt.

"Eh? Didn't I tell you I'm not the only one calling myself L?" L asked, peering up at Light almost curiously. "L is a group of people like me."

Es chuckled at the blatant lie. It was true Es switched with L on occasion, but it was barely to the extent where one could call it a group. There were only two of them, after all, and Es typically went by S anyway. L knew Yagami Light planned to kill him today. Es had alerted him to this, though neither was particularly anxious. L had faith in Es and believed his words about the safeguard which protected his life.

"Want to get some cake?" L asked, rising from the park bench.

The detective and mass murderer duo was on their way towards the nearest cafe when a familiar annoying voice called, "Light! There you are!"

Es grimaced from where he stood not too far from the two.

"I came to this area for a photoshoot, so I just dropped by to see you. The thing starts at two, so there's still time. Your university's so open. It's easy to get in and out," Misa chirped.

Light gaped at the blonde.

Es knew that he was probably internally berating her.

She was that stupid.

"Light-kun," Es spoke then, third-wheeling spectacularly as per normal while strolling in as though he had not been trailing behind them all this time.

"Suzuki-kun!" Misa exclaimed while waving vigorously.

"Misa," Es replied easily as he stepped in.

"Are you Light's friend?" Misa asked L. "I'm Light's girlfriend, Amane Misa."

"Ryūga Hideki," replied L curtly.

That was when Es said airily, "You know me."

L smirked. "Of course, Suzuki."

When that name left L's lips, Yagami Light was struck by how similar it was to Ryūzaki, L's own alias.

Es shook L's hand, pretending they were mere acquaintances that have not met in a long time.

The blond then turned around, meeting the brunet's gaze with gleaming eyes.