Entirely Yours

The early morning was still cool and crisp as I flew over Velaris, the feeling was euphoric after not flying for so long. Tears streaked down my face as I flew up, up, up, before tucking my wings in and diving back towards the city below. Life was just beginning to wake in the sleepy city. I'd forgotten how beautiful it was, after 200 years it was the single most amazing place and it was no wonder why my forefathers had sacrificed so much to protect it.

My feet touched the ground on the bridge that ran over the sidra and I ran my hands over the smooth stone. I sighed and leaned against the wall of the bridge, looking out towards the rainbow; the artist's quarter. I had lived in that quarter when I was younger, and thrived in the environment of color and light.

I walked along the streets as they began to crowd with people and I just watched as stalls opened and goods were set out. I stopped in front of a stall where a jeweler had laid out a pendant on a silver chain. Wrapped in blue-tinted silver, the jewel seemed to be made of living shadow, something pulsing within it. Silent and enduring, I smiled and looked at the Jeweler who was grinning at me.

"Beautiful isn't it? The jewel itself is just obsidian but it was mined from under the Illyrian mountains, the mountain where the warriors are tested before becoming full-fledged Illyrians." Her voice held an excitement I only ever saw in merchants who knew they alone had a treasure to share. I looked back to the pendant and picked it up, running my thumb over the smooth surface.

"For our High Lord's sister, I'll give you a good price," My eyes shot up to hers and she smiled knowingly.

"You might not remember but my family has served yours for centuries in crafting the ancient crowns and jewels of our court. Your mother brought you here when you were very young, and I never forget a face, especially when it resembles our dear Lady so," She smiled sadly, pulling out a small velvet box and placing the necklace inside. I handed her two gold coins.

"Thank you," I said, tucking the box into my pocket before making my way down the roof of stalls and shops. My mate was never one for gifts and I knew if I gave him another knife he would smile and accept it but her only ever used one, truth-teller, and it would be that way until the Illyrian blade broke.

~ *** ~

It was mid-afternoon before Azriel came to find me. I stood at the bridge over the Sidra again, watching the people and admiring the life that flourished here. Shadows curled around my legs and his arms wrapped around my waist, Azriel's warm breath tickling the skin on my neck, and I leaned back into his solid frame resting my head against his chest.

"I missed you, Stella Meus," He said softly and I chuckled, turning to face him, my hands resting on his chest. He leaned down, pressed a kiss to the corner of my lips and I wrapped my arms around his neck, stretching up to my tiptoes, pressing my lips to his. Azriel's scent surrounded me, his lips pulling my focus solely to him as he pulled back and kissed the tip of my nose before resting his forehead against mine. We both stood there for some time, taking in each other's presence and I couldn't seem to get enough of him.

"I'm yours for the rest of the week," I whispered and he shivered, my hands running up into his hair twisting lightly.

"Then would you do me the honor of flying with me, mate?" He purred and pulled back, I hopped up onto the wall of the bridge before spreading my wings and beating them until I was high above the city. Azriel followed close behind and flew beside me, his massive wings keeping us a healthy distance apart but I was more focused on the feeling of air running over my body. I would never take flying for granted ever again.

We flew towards the Illyrian mountains, rolling and tumbling through the sky. Just a few miles from one of the Illyrian camps, the one where my brother and I were trained, we landed, and there among the sheer wall of stone a small cabin built into the side of the mountain. I'd found the cabin when I was training in the camps and when I went off on my own I was drawn to it. Much like the House of Mist, this cabin was enchanted and I'd used it as a safe space when I would get angry or overwhelmed. I'd once disappeared for 2 weeks and when no one could find me Azriel set out on his own to find me, and that's what he did. He told no one where I'd been and the cabin had become our secret, a place we could both go if we needed time away.