[11] The Alliance

We start walking and looking around to find water. A stream, or a river. There's obviously one of those here. I Glimmer and Cato... walking so close... It produces jealousy inside me but how can I let this affect me? One of us is probably going to die, what's the point of having feelings for Cato? I don't make sense. I shouldn't have volunteered this year. I should have waited until next year. At least I'd have just slightly more skill.

We don't find a stream, but instead find that boy from District 12.

"Ey, want to be in our alliance?" Cato asks him, unimpressed.

"Uh...yeah. Sure. Um, thanks. The name's Peeta by the way." Peeta answers. I wonder if Katniss is still alive...

Cato just rolls his eyes and whispers, "Loverboy" to Glimmer and Marvel and they start laughing. I'm here too, don't they know that? I'm their ally as well... No one seems to be acknowledging that.

We see a bright light coming from not too far away. A fire. Someone is there. It could be anyone, it could be Katniss, too...

We run towards the fire and Cato says, "Kill her, somebody, or should I do it?" We are all surrounding the girl. I'm not sure what district she's from.

I whip out my knife and immediately hear a scream. It's too late, my knife already went into her heart.

------------------------------------------------

We try to hunt for food. I throw my knife at a rabbit. A rabbit should do... for now.

We find a good spot for the night. "Hey Loverboy, you sure she went that way?" Cato asks Peeta.

"Yeah, I'm sure." Peeta answers nervously.

We gather our food and start preparing it. "Somebody build a fire." says Cato, annoyed. Marvel builds the fire and Cato sits there doing nothing. Who does he think he is?

No water, yet, but we'll be looking for that tomorrow. Soon, night approaches and the national anthem of Panem plays, showing the fallen tributes in the sky. Fourteen of them, and Katniss isn't one of them.

I take out the sleeping bag I found in my orange backpack and lay it out. I'm too exhausted, so I get in it and use my backpack as a pillow.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wake up to the sound of branches rustling. I look up to the tree I hear the sound coming from there. Oh no. It's Katniss.

"Cato, Cato!" I whisper, tapping him. I need to tell him. He wakes up and sees me. "What is it?" he asks.

I think about how great it'd be to have Katniss as my ally. Oh no way, Clove. Don't be stupid. She can just kill you when you're sleeping... But I can kill her, too. My brain is flooded with twisted thoughts.

"Oh, nothing, sorry." I tell him, and he immediately goes back to sleep. Its only early morning, and Cato knows what he's doing. He's probably only going to sleep for ten more minutes. This is my chance.

I look up at Katniss. She looks as frightened as ever. No, I don't want that reaction. Not anymore. I'm making the hardest decision ever.

I want Katniss to be my ally.

I jog far away from my 'allies', Cato, Peeta, Marvel and Glimmer as I keep my eyes on Katniss. She's still staring at me, getting uncomfortable. I signal for her to come down from the tree, and with much hesitation, she finally does, bringing all her supplies with her. She's walking towards me. This is it.

"Katniss, I want you to be my ally," I whisper to her.

Her frown immediately turns into shock. Is it that hard to believe that I want her as my ally?

"Uh...uh..." she stutters, "Uh sure, but what would they say?" she asks, shifting her eyes to my sleeping allies. Or should I say enemies now.

"I'm leaving them. Can you be my ally or not?" I ask impatiently, hoping Cato and the rest don't wake up.

"Uh okay, lets go," she says hurriedly.

Yes. I have Katniss as my ally. Sooner or later, Cato and the rest are probably going to kill everyone else, and eventually each other, and finally, we're going to get rid of Cato and the rest. When that's done, I'll keep a very close lookout for Katniss, and when she's asleep, I'll kill her. The perfect plan. I can actually win, I came here to do that. I can go home.

"Lets look for water," I tell Katniss. She nods.

We find a stream, after roughly twenty minutes of walking. We were both so quiet. And while walking, I realize that I haven't heard the canon for a while. That means there is still nine of us left.

Cato and the rest may have waken up already. And I don't think Cato is especially happy about my whereabouts.

We take our flasks from our bags and fill it with water, and filter it with two drops of the iodine they provide us to make our water clean. As soon as we're done, we find a safe place to stay until anyone finds us. This is my time to get to know about Katniss' skills.

"So... How come you chose me instead of your old allies?" Katniss asks.

"Well, I just thought it'd be better for me. They're terrible. They didn't even acknowledge me or whatever. Why should I be in an alliance with them? They probably find me useless, and were probably going to kill me when I was sleeping, if I was still a part of their alliance," I explain, and realize I sounded stupid because Katniss could kill me in my sleep too, so I just forget I said it.

"What are your skills, anyway? I never got to find out," I say.

"Bow and arrow. Archery. I can do that. I'm good at it," she answers.

I nod. That's weird. That dream I had the other night. She had bow and arrows at the Cornucopia. Just a coincidence, forget it. We're allies now. I'm not going to hurt her until we're the last two alive. I know I'm better than her, anyway. She's good, but I'm better. I've killed five people already. I find out she hasn't killed anyone. Who's obviously better? I am.

"So, what's-"

We're interrupted by the sound of four voices. And I know who they belong to. My allies that I left.

"They're over here! Come on!" shouts Cato. I hate him. I am fuming mad. He's a betrayer.

"Run!" I shout to Katniss. We run until we reach the stream, we get in and try to swim as fast as we can. I didn't swim back in my district, we only had a tiny lake, but only my father used to take me there when I was younger... when he was still alive.

I try to watch how Katniss does it, but when I ask her, she says she can't do it so well either.

"Lets get out, and head that way!" I tell her frantically, pointing to a cave-like place. We run as fast as we can, all wet, and rush into the cave. Cato and the rest are quite far behind us, so they probably won't be able to find us here. It's extremely dark, but I can still navigate myself out of the cave when I need to hunt.

"Okay, we're good here," Katniss says loudly.

It's good that I chose Katniss to be my ally, but my plan better work out.

***

If you liked this chapter, please vote! Thank you :) There was the twist!!! Unbelievable that clove and katniss would form an alliance righttt? There's another twist coming SOON, not yet but SOON. :) thanks for reading! Hopefully i can get to 700 reads :)