Chapter 17

***

"Why are you so loud?" complained Iona. Aeryn had been yelling her goodbyes to the crew members and yelling louder for her voice to reach Erel. The siren, fearful of the sun, remained deep underwater just barely able to hear Aeryn's voice. "I'm sure they heard you say goodbye the first few times."

"Don't be a killjoy. This is the first time I'm going to Auber in over five years, Iona. And I like yelling my goodbyes." Because there was once a time I didn't get to say goodbye, and things went haywire. "Sweet, sweet Juele invited me to his wedding, you know?"

Iona turned, her hand covering her mouth. This was the first she was hearing about this. Aeryn had never mentioned why they were going to Auber. "What?" she shrieked. "You're talking about the Juele. Right?"

"What do you mean?" Aeryn said, confused with Iona's surprised reaction.

"Crown Prince Juele of Auber, the nation's greatest heartthrob," she said like an announcer, daydreaming about the thought of meeting such a person.

Aeryn laughed, throwing her head back, sounding much like a hyena. "Juele's a heartthrob?" she said between laughs. "Juele is a heartthrob? What the hell are you talking about?"

"You mean you don't know?" Iona asked, eyes wide. "You really don't know him, do you?"

Aeryn laughed through her teeth. She pressed a fist to her lips. "I'm pretty sure I would know the person who I spent most of my childhood with."

Iona's jaw dropped. "That is not fair."

"Of course, but you'll be meeting him. And we get to stay in the best guest room in Aubervin's castle."

Iona, sturdy in her step and happiness written on her face, dragged their suitcase onto Aubervin soil, motivated by the opportunity to stay in the castle. 

They reached Aeryn's home country, and meeting Prince Juele was mere hours away.

They had travelled quite discreetly, docking their ships in Auber's shadier area to avoid attention to a pirate ship.

Aeryn had received Juele's letter two weeks ago. Every word overflowing with guilt and shame almost brought tears to her eyes. She had forgiven him long before she left Auber, but it seemed Juele had been feeding himself the deadliest of poisons.

Self-blame.

She'd sent a letter back as quickly as she could. Hopefully, he'd gotten it.

Juele, first of all, I don't hate you. Second, I'm coming to your wedding, but I will be running away the second I spot those strawberries you love so much. Also, thanks for the room. I'm going to have a serious heart-to-heart with you when we meet, so don't even think about avoiding me, got it?

The only reason her replies to his letter every four months was her ever-changing location onboard the White Crow. And before that, Sheries allowed her one letter every six months. She had no choice but to use it for her family even though it hurt to leave Juele behind.

Juele had been fourteen, skinny, and a happy-go-lucky person when she left Auber. And through the letters she read, she felt him evolve into a self-blaming, anxious boy. And Auber's heartthrob.

She had been fifteen, scared, and determined when she left. She evolved into a depressed, self-loathing monster on the Maiden's Cross, then once again determined on the White Crow.

Though her determination fell apart at how easily Han and Aranaz managed to stop her plan to obtain the Tiger's Ruby.

If she ever faced them again, the only thing that would hold back her words would be humiliation. It embarrassed her that she would be humiliated in front of killing professionals. She was just another mouse in the sewer for them. Erel had told her all about the dead bodies in the lake of Querilke. Many trained and toned men and women filled the lake. She couldn't match up to them.