Chapter 34

***

After one short command from Han, everyone not seated on table number ten left the bar. Pirates, thieves, drunkards, and women not fitting of any of those groups filtered out of the tavern, reluctant to leave their sustenance behind. 

"What plan?" Aeryn asked, rolling her eyes. She had told the others at the table to limit their speaking, so the tavern's walls echoed her voice in a way that made her cringe. "Last time I checked, we weren't on good terms."

Sehyun laughed. "That's not relevant. What is relevant is what I will propose to you and your companions. I had a good chat with my quartermaster, and we have come to an agreement."

Playing his statement in her head, she said, "Keep talking." She was interested in what he had to say, even if she decided she would go against it no matter what. Sehyun Han was simply an obstacle in her short journey for the Tiger's Ruby and the turning point in her life. If he hadn't invaded Sheries' ship, she might have followed Sarah into the sea. 

"Alright." He took in a deep breath, the weight of public speaking finally sinking in. He'd always had Suzy relay his orders to his crew whenever necessary. He'd never truly spoken to many people at the same time. "We," he gestured at the table then himself, "have quite a few problems." 

"What problems? The only significant problem I remember is your existence."

Sucking his teeth, Sehyun replied, "The tension between Auber and Tereline is increasing because of the attack on the engagement function and the missing prince and princess. We need to quiet this down, so I propose that everyone on this table younger than twenty work together to deliver the royals to Auber."

"Why does the tension matter?" Aeryn asked. "We live on ships."

Sehyun froze, not expecting Aeryn to ask so many questions. "There is a variable that comes into play." He remembered the muscle-man, how he had come onto his ship and informed Han that the attack was the doings of his boss. Whoever that was. "The war is being planned by a very powerful person on the sea. Someone who has an underling with the ability to overpower...many ships." 

He couldn't bring himself to reveal that it was the Black Egret that had been overpowered by the muscle-man. 

Not willing to listen and more willing to challenge Han, Aeryn asked, "Are you not the strongest person on the sea? As far as I know, the Golden Age is over, and I don't know any name other than yours infamously."

"There is. Trust me."

"You want me to trust someone who has killed hundreds of people?"

He stiffened. "You can't hold that against me," he said. "You can't." His voice wavered as if it were a sensitive topic. "I never had a choice in the matter."

Making her annoyance evident on her face, the auburn-haired captain drummed her fingers on the table. "Fine. Continue."

Immediately returning to his aloofness, Sehyun went on. "It is crucial Maya and Juele get to Auber and settle down the tension. The war is exactly what the boss wants."

"What boss?"

"I'm not entirely sure, but one time--twice actually, a really huge man came on my ship and told me that his boss ordered the attack on the castle."

"Believable," she replied with a look saying the exact opposite. "Elaborate."

Giving up, Sehyun sighed. He didn't like answering questions. "Look, Aeryn, I am not the best when it comes to explaining, so just believe what I say."

Aeryn sunk into her seat. "Fine."

Sehyun scratched his fingers, tapped his foot, and continued. "From the top. First, we need to get the royals back to the castle and hope they can mediate the tension. Second, I need to get to Querilke. Third, we need to keep Aeryn and her siren friend safe."

Aeryn's eyes widened. "Why?" She turned to get Erel's attention, but the former siren merely stared at the wooden table deep in thought.

"The boss is after you two."

"Really?" she asked with a voice too high for her statement to be genuine. "I never could've figured it out."

"It's because she's Poseidon's daughter and you are her companion. You are the Empress. I don't know more."

Aeryn laughed sourly. The tension on the table could easily compete against the relation between Auber and Tereline.

"I can't let him get you two, so both of you will be under my protection."

Silence.

"What's it to you? Why not let the boss get your hands on us?"

Sehyun sighed once again. The questions were annoying, the "having to explain himself" was too. "I got the feeling the boss wanted to end the world with you, but the thing is, I would like to live a little longer and reach old age."

Aeryn opened her mouth to retort, but Erel's hand on her shoulder stopped her.

"He's right, Aeryn dear." She shifted her attention to Han. "Is this boss named Kronos or Cronas, by any chance?"

"I can't say, but the names sound evil enough."

Aeryn dropped her jaw. "Those two?"

Erel gave a brief nod. "We should listen to him."

Ignoring Erel, Aeryn stood. An attempt to intimidate she didn't need. Han was already trembling on the inside. "Why are you even here?"

"Money for a new ship. You?"

"Money for repairs."

Another silence fell.

"Oi, waiter," Iona called. "Can I get some more coffee?"

Startled, the waiter brought her coffee fast enough to place his fear on display. Obviously. Han and Aranaz's presence was like drowning, and a table with the missing royals and pirates all acquainted with them couldn't be easy to handle.

"What if I gave you money to repair your ship? Would you be willing to agree to my plan?" My extremely spontaneous plan that I came up with within twenty minutes? The plan that is almost perfection? My beautiful, beautiful plan that will keep all of alive? Hopefully. Those statements ran around his mind, but he didn't have the heart to say aloud.

"Maybe."

***
Thanks for reading Empress of the Sea. Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the chapter.

Word Count: 866