Chapter 20

Rewritten
***

Sehyun was now on his third glass of champagne. One more and he would catch up with Aeryn. At least with the booze he'd seen her gulp.

"Survivor, why won't you let me look at your eyes? I never noticed the colour before, and I think it's quite a feat you've achieved by having two different eye colours."

"You're being creepy," Aeryn said irked, leaning away from him. "Just watch the ceremony. It's almost over."

"What the hell is the point of putting rings on one another and listening to people who could give no damns 'bless the couple?' You already know you're going to get married. If society keeps going like this—"

"Han, I appreciate your thoughts, but please." The creepy smile plastered on Aeryn's face and the high-pitched tone she'd used told him she was annoyed. Annoyed with the statements he'd been spewing ever since he'd gotten tipsy.

He scoffed and sank into his seat, muttering something about how marriage was tying yourself down to another human that was only acceptable when love was mutual. Not a tool to be used in politics. Sehyun didn't know the reason behind the wedding, much less the details going on behind the scenes, but it couldn't excuse arranged marriage. Unless it was being used to quiet down a war, or something along those lines.

After an eternity, the ceremony finished with the couple looking as bored as Sehyun or more so.

He stood and immediately went to where the pastries were, not bothering to apologize to anyone he bumped into. Not bothering to leave Aeryn with a greeting of some sort or even a small wave of his hand.

He needed to stand after slouching for almost an hour, needed to eat another strawberry cake despite the dwelling feeling in his stomach from eating too much sugar. 

"It's a miracle your heart hasn't stopped yet," said a familiar voice.

He turned to see who it was. "Mayal?" He asked, his mouth full of cake. He swallowed as he set the plate down and smiled at his childhood friend. Though calling her a younger sister would be more appropriate considering their constant bickering. It hadn't been constant for the last four years, nor had they had any proper conversation through letters.

Yet here they were, happy to see each other as if the four years of misery Sehyun managed didn't exist.

"I can't believe you're getting married before me," he said.

"I can't believe you still haven't got a girlfriend."

He sucked his teeth. "You're still on about that. Not everything revolves around a girlfriend."

"Whatever. Tell me where you've been for the past four years."

"Places."

"Really?" she said, her pitch going higher than necessary. "I didn't know you went places. I thought you went to hell."

"Very funny." He grabbed his waist and followed Maya to a table to chat. "Don't you think you should be watching your mouth with nobles around?"

"Whatever."

Yesterday, he'd been so afraid to talk to her. He wondered if they would be able to speak at all. But when he was approached first, words came easy knowing she wanted to speak with him.

They spoke like they'd seen each other last week.

"How's James?"

"He threw up yesterday, so he's in the infirmary with Mom."