Chapter 9

Maya was finally assigned a room in the academy after a lot of paperwork to fill out. Much of it was asking questions she wasn't sure about anymore. Her name, where she lived, her social security, and so on. She felt like a liar turning them in to the receptionist since she had no idea if anything about her is true. Her very existence felt like a lie.

She gathered her belongings from Caleb's house and made her way to the second floor of the academy.

"Room two-oh-eight. Camilla Ionadi and Rosemarie Ruthven are my roommates." She said aloud as she approached the door. She went to open it when the door came open on its own. One of the girls slammed into her as she was rushing out, knocking all of Maya's things to the floor.

She didn't look at all frazzled by the impact. She stared at her with fiery eyes. That was all Maya could see. The rest of her face was covered in a mask and a hood covered her head. She looked more like an assassin than a vampire. The scar over her eye said a lot about her. She was a fighter. Not someone you wanted to mess around with.

Without a word, she went on her way. The sword and bow along her back clanking together in a harmonious song.

How many more vampires behave with such entitlement?

She picked up her belongings and went inside. The room was not what she expected. It looked more like a military base than the average academy dorm. Three twin beds sat in a row against a grey wall. Weapons were stored on a rack and detailed maps were displayed on a small table that sat in the middle of the floor.

There was a young woman bent over the table studying the maps. She did not look up when Maya approached her.

"Hi, I'm Maya. Are you Camilla or Rosemarie?"

Still looking at the maps she replied, "I am Rosemarie Ruthven. The other girl you ran into is Camilla. Try not to cause any more trouble while you're here."

"I'm not looking to cause trouble," Maya said. "I was just ordered to come up here to prepare for training."

Rosemarie averted her eyes to her, "You're the new girl?"

She was behind her in a flash. Her chin hanging over her shoulder, sniffing her neck.

"I thought your scent seemed off, but you look like one of us. I've never seen your kind before."

Maya froze. She wasn't sure how to react to such a statement.

"You're cowardice. Weak. A halfling. You've no place among us. The likes of you belong with the rogues." Rosemarie scoffed. "I do have to wonder what you taste like though." She took a long-pointed fingernail and poked a hole in Maya's shoulder. Enough for a little blood to seep out.

She winced at the sting and felt her rub her finger across the wound. She could hear her suck on it as it snapped from between her lips.

"Hmm, interesting. What exactly are you?" She appeared in front of her once more. A grim expression spread across her face.

"I'm not really sure myself." Maya looked at her hands. They were shaking and she realized just how fast her heart was beating.

Rosemarie laughed at how frightened she was, "I was right about the cowardice part. You will never achieve any kind of a rank here, but I can be your friend. It will benefit only me unfortunately for you."

"Enough Rosemarie."

A young man leaned on the doorway with his arms crossed. His blazing blue eyes glowering with contempt and lips narrowed.